Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Display shelves - from the wRECk (0/1)

Gerald. His are elegant, mine are pretty funky..

I threw them together in an hour or so, the morning of a show..
No biscuits, overlapping instead of flush, etc..

The plan was to try them, and if they worked out I'd build "nicer" ones..
As usual, they worked great and I never got around to building another set..

They fold flat and you can use any size boards..
Length is whatever you want, width is determined by size of the openings (mine
are 13") and what angle you want the "ladders" to open to..
Mine use 9 3/4" boards because my wife wanted a 45 degree opening and I just
kept running them through the saw an 1/8" at a time until she liked them..
My shelves are 6' x 9 3/4" x 3/4"

They fold flat for storage and transport, are easy to set up, (best to have a
helper for the 1st shelf in) and are VERY stable..

I do outdoor shows where I'm never on level ground and usually have wind but
they just self adjust to whatever they're sitting on and they're never blown
over..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
I do outdoor shows where I'm never on level ground and usually have wind

but
they just self adjust to whatever they're sitting on and they're never

blown
over..

And, if wind or something like that becomes a problem, a pair of hand clamps
would make them even more solid.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

Gerald. His are elegant, mine are pretty funky..

I threw them together in an hour or so, the morning of a show..
No biscuits, overlapping instead of flush, etc..

The plan was to try them, and if they worked out I'd build "nicer" ones..
As usual, they worked great and I never got around to building another
set..

Looks good and is obviously very functional.

One thing I would mention is that old marketing nugget about not making the
display/packaging/etc fancier than the product itself. You have some plain,
simple shelves. This shows off the turinings nicely. You did it right.

Good job Mac.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:06:29 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
I do outdoor shows where I'm never on level ground and usually have wind

but
they just self adjust to whatever they're sitting on and they're never

blown
over..

And, if wind or something like that becomes a problem, a pair of hand clamps
would make them even more solid.

Now that you mention it.. lol
One of the shelves (originally cheap 1x12's) is warped worse than the rest and
we did clamp a corner of it cuz the wind was making it tap..
In the picture, we were in very strong wind, so I wrapped a bungee cord around a
top shelf and around a pillar..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:06:53 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

Gerald. His are elegant, mine are pretty funky..

I threw them together in an hour or so, the morning of a show..
No biscuits, overlapping instead of flush, etc..

The plan was to try them, and if they worked out I'd build "nicer" ones..
As usual, they worked great and I never got around to building another
set..

Looks good and is obviously very functional.

One thing I would mention is that old marketing nugget about not making the
display/packaging/etc fancier than the product itself. You have some plain,
simple shelves. This shows off the turinings nicely. You did it right.

Good job Mac.

Thanks..
I was going to sand and stain them, but had the same thought as you did..
Also, any color on the shelves except maybe white would tend lose the color
contrast between the work and the shelf..