Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Another Foundation going in

"Swingman" wrote

Now, I just need to figure out how to hang kitchen wall cabinets on a
straw bale wall ...

That is an interesting problem.

I used to build and install gym equipment long before it was easily
availble. Long ago, much equipment was built to be bolted or lag screwed to
a wall. And then it would be moved to a location where there was no wall to
drill into. We would make up a frame of two by stock to fasten it to. I
would often stain the wood and make it look fairly good.

I wonder if you could make up a nicely stained frame for the cabinets. I
know that it is a trend in kitchen design to make and island look like a
free standing peice of furniture. Would it be possibe to incorporate into
the design some nice wood peices? It could be two by or four by stock.
Maybe some nice stainless fasteners. Deep rustic appearance. You could even
paint the fasteners or have them made up by a blacksmith.

Make it strong and an integral part of the overall design. Something like
that would be strong enough to hang a horse off of it. It would have no
problem handling some modern cabinets. Hell, a good desiger could take this
whole straw house with the thick walls and make real design statement.

Remember, it ain't a flaw, it is a design feature!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

[...]

I've been assured by those who have done it that it is not all that
complicated an affair to build in the usual cabinet blocking into the straw
bales themselves ... AAMOF, I've already come up with three options for the
client, but they do need to fit in with the traditional "rounded corners and
curves" look and feel of the walls.

Attaching cabinets to "rounded corners and curves", with the added fact that
room dimensions are not as easily predicted as in traditional stick framing,
makes me nervous about too much preparatory work being done in a shop 160
miles from the site.

Whatever the method it will indeed be a challenge ... and generally I relish
out-of-the-ordinary challenges. We'll see if that continues to hold up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Attaching cabinets to "rounded corners and curves", with the added fact
that room dimensions are not as easily predicted as in traditional stick
framing, makes me nervous about too much preparatory work being done in a
shop 160 miles from the site.

Wow, room dimensions are not easily predicted?? Kinda sounds like a jazz
version of home construction. Good skills combined with a lot of
improvisation! Definitely not for the anal retentive type. Keep that beat
goin' there swingman.

As for curves and rounded corners, that sounds like a woman, not a house.
:-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

"Swingman" wrote

Attaching cabinets to "rounded corners and curves", with the added fact
that room dimensions are not as easily predicted as in traditional stick
framing, makes me nervous about too much preparatory work being done in a
shop 160 miles from the site.

Wow, room dimensions are not easily predicted?? Kinda sounds like a jazz
version of home construction. Good skills combined with a lot of
improvisation! Definitely not for the anal retentive type. Keep that beat
goin' there swingman.

As for curves and rounded corners, that sounds like a woman, not a house.
:-)

LOL ... as it happens, the female half of the couple building the house will
fit in nicely.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

foundation? grasshopper[_2_] Home Repair 2 September 2nd 08 02:34 AM
Foundation? LA Home Repair 0 May 9th 07 06:14 PM
Foundation? LA Home Repair 0 May 9th 07 06:13 PM
Big oak and your foundation Tazz Home Repair 20 February 22nd 07 06:55 PM
Need Help w/Foundation Steven Banks Home Repair 2 August 15th 06 04:06 AM