Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Cedar posts

Perhaps more of a carpentry question than a woodworking one, but there
are plenty of fart smellers in here so I figure somebody ought to know...

My wife has been after me to get started on the ol' pergola project that
we're hoping will fend off that hot Austin sun while we're trying to
enjoy a cold Shiner Bock on the back porch... I've been figuring to
make it out of Red Cedar, but I haven't really priced the stuff until
today. I'd like to use 6x6 posts for the verticals, but of course Lowes
Depot doesn't carry anything but 4x4s (which I noted were about $15 for
an 8-foot post). My wife called around today for pricing on 10-foot 6x6
posts and couldn't find anything for under $80 apiece! Does that sound
right? Geez, now I'm thinking those 6"x6"x10' "YellaWood" posts for $20
don't look so ugly after all... Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Perhaps more of a carpentry question than a woodworking one, but there are
plenty of fart smellers in here so I figure somebody ought to know...

My wife has been after me to get started on the ol' pergola project that
we're hoping will fend off that hot Austin sun while we're trying to enjoy
a cold Shiner Bock on the back porch... I've been figuring to make it out
of Red Cedar, but I haven't really priced the stuff until today. I'd like
to use 6x6 posts for the verticals, but of course Lowes Depot doesn't
carry anything but 4x4s (which I noted were about $15 for an 8-foot post).
My wife called around today for pricing on 10-foot 6x6 posts and couldn't
find anything for under $80 apiece! Does that sound right? Geez, now I'm
thinking those 6"x6"x10' "YellaWood" posts for $20 don't look so ugly
after all... Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Be glad you're not pricing redwood.
We just completed fabricating and replacing fixed-plate redwood window
sills in a master suite for a 1965-built Frank lloyd Wright style home. The
4X4 clear heart redwood posts were not only structural but had been
rabbetted to accept the ~32X74 1/4 inch plate glass windows. The old posts,
rotted at the bottoms (along with the surrounding sill pieces) were 3-3/4
square and, of course, the replacements were but 3-1/2 square. I made up
the 1/4 inch difference by making the rabbets 1/8 inch less in width. Had
to adjust the dimensions of the outside corner post but made it work.
The tough part (for the homeowners) was laying down $13.50 bd/ft for the
four 4X4X16 ft. posts which we turned into eight eight footers. 2X10 clear
heart redwood to make the 7-7/8 wide sills was $17.95 bd/ft. Saved a little
by gluing up a 2x$ and 2X6 to get back to the original 7-7/8 width.

Swingman, Leon, that may be my first and last visit to Clark's.

Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message
Swingman, Leon, that may be my first and last visit to Clark's.

LOL... they ain't cheap, but they do have a pretty good variety and it is
typically good stuff.

Do you have a preference for another place locally? I'm all ears. ;~)

Although Swingman and I got 16, 8' long 4x4 Walnut posts for $4 each. It
was not local though. ;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Just curious, they have any decent Locust available for posts in
Texas?

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message
Swingman, Leon, that may be my first and last visit to Clark's.

LOL... they ain't cheap, but they do have a pretty good variety and it is
typically good stuff.

Do you have a preference for another place locally? I'm all ears. ;~)

My padner bought the 2X6 and 2X4 at Houston Hardwoods on 34th.

Although Swingman and I got 16, 8' long 4x4 Walnut posts for $4 each.
It was not local though. ;~)

Huntsville?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

Why 6x6 why not 4x6? Your going to have a hard time finding a beam in a 6"
dimension. And a 4x whatever would be cheaper. Sounds kinda high for a
6x6-10' but you're talking cedar.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:49:02 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Hopefully you're in Austin, TX, and buying more than 4 posts or these
recommendations won't make any sense.

I'm guessing you've already checked with these places...

http://www.austinwholesaledecking.com/cedar.htm
http://www.texaswoods.com/lumber.shtml

This is not exactly what you are looking for but maybe you can call them
for a recommendation. Definitely cheaper but a different product. Only a
few hours away so if the orders large enough or you can find another
contractor to coop shipping with it could be cost effective.

http://auldcedaryard.com/price_list.html
Many others available around TX.

Unfortunately with gas prices, shipping costs have made long distance
purchasing less of an option and red cedar is readily available in TX.
You appear to be along a standard rail route and train shipping has
always been the cheapest but you need a large order to make it cost
effective. Many places to choose from if you shipped it in.

http://www.lumbermax.com/products.html
http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/posts/grades.php
Too many more to list since this probably isn't an option. You'd be
better off finding another contractor or shop already shipping in to
trust quality of product and combine your order to their standard orders.

I buy my birds eye maple this way. Rail shipped in on top of a local
shops large quarterly exotic lumber order. After everything it's less
than half the price of anything I can find local given the amount I
purchase each time. They pay a flat rate per rail car so they try to fill
with local contractors orders to offset shipping costs. Even rail
shipping has been going up with gas price increases so this is becoming
less of a deal but local pricing of all product shipped in is going up
too so it's still slightly cheaper by rail than local. Offset by costs of
transporting from their shop to my storage.

If you decide to look outside the box you might try to change the type of
wood to "exotics" boat shipped into Houston. I can get product shipped in
by boat cheaper than local. However as with rail you need to purchase or
coop for a full container to make it cost effective. I tagged on to a
contractor friend's shipment when he brought in a huge order of Ipe and
other South American exotics. As long as you don't exceed the weight the
container is the same price for shipping empty or full. It only really
makes sense if you're buying large quantities, near a port or can tag
onto another local companies order.

Don't forget to try and coop locally. Find a few other contractors and
purchase a truckload locally at wholesale. Should save at least 20%-40%.
Have them bundle and wrap each order separately so there's no fighting
and cherry picking of quality when the order arrives. Largest order gets
the drop site and everybody else picks up from there.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

I neglected to mention faux beams. Steel centers with real wood
surrounds. Usually only makes sense for long beams over 12' or large
columns over 8" diameter. Many sources pre-made available but easy to
make on your own using cedar boards over steel I-beams. Labor will offset
price savings on solid wood. Still cheaper with large enough sizes and
allows radically different design possibilities. They're fairly common
here for porch columns and in winery tasting center gazebos, amusement
parks, etc.. If built properly most people can't tell they're not solid
wood.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote

Swingman, Leon, that may be my first and last visit to Clark's.

I feel your pain ... was there Sat morning to buy some 3 x 3 red oak to
bring a stairwell up to code ... $6.50/linear foot!

But ... there is always something worse.

I just paid $5/inch ... yeah, that's right, $5/inch! ... for double walled,
stainless steel gas vent installation stacks for two, count'em, two tankless
water heaters for the same house.

The wood was apparently a real bargain!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

an 8-foot post). My wife called around today for pricing on 10-foot 6x6
posts and couldn't find anything for under $80 apiece! Does that sound
right? Geez, now I'm thinking those 6"x6"x10' "YellaWood" posts for $20
don't look so ugly after all... Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

Montalbano Lumber here in Houston has both cedar and treated posts up to 12
x 12 that I often use for balconies. Although they come in the bid package,
I don't think they're that much ... then again, prices are at an all time
high here in Houston when it comes to anything "construction".

"Housing crisis"??, there is no housing crisis ... you just can't sell one.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

I just paid $5/inch ... yeah, that's right, $5/inch! ... for double
walled,
stainless steel gas vent installation stacks for two, count'em, two
tankless
water heaters for the same house.

OUCH!!

They really stick it to ya on this GREEN stuff, don't they?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

But ... there is always something worse.

I just paid $5/inch ... yeah, that's right, $5/inch! ... for double
walled,
stainless steel gas vent installation stacks for two, count'em, two
tankless
water heaters for the same house.

I think I've got a couple of match-grade, stainless benchrest barrels
that didn't cost THAT much!

Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote

I think I've got a couple of match-grade, stainless benchrest barrels
that didn't cost THAT much!

.... and I'll bet they're not six foot long each!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Dave in Houston" wrote

I think I've got a couple of match-grade, stainless benchrest barrels
that didn't cost THAT much!

... and I'll bet they're not six foot long each!

Not even added together.

Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Steve,

My wife has been after me to get started on the ol' pergola project that
we're hoping will fend off that hot Austin sun while we're trying to
enjoy a cold Shiner Bock on the back porch... I've been figuring to
make it out of Red Cedar, but I haven't really priced the stuff until
today. I'd like to use 6x6 posts for the verticals, but of course Lowes
Depot doesn't carry anything but 4x4s (which I noted were about $15 for
an 8-foot post). My wife called around today for pricing on 10-foot 6x6
posts and couldn't find anything for under $80 apiece!

Two ideas come to mind...

1. Use a pressure treated 4x4 post and wrap it with 1x cedar boards. You
could miter the edges if you want to get fancy, or just nail them to the
post.

2. Glue up four 2x6 cedar boards into a laminated post, then cut or plane
the post to the desired size. You would need exterior glue, of course, and
lots of clamps.

Either way, wood is expensive these days, and you're probably looking at
well over $50 per post no matter how you make it. $80 for a 6x6 may not be
a bad deal if you factor your time and labor into the options.

For what it's worth, I used pressure treated 4x4 posts for a firewood shed,
and applied a coat of semi-opaque stain. Other than the grooves from the
pressure treating, it looks quite nice.

Anthony

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Have you considered Cypress?
Not that I know that much about it, but from what I've heard, it's
reasonably priced and pretty rot resistant.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm RIGHT, it's just what I read somewhere.

Kate

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wow Joe, thanks for all the info. Yea, Austin Wholesale Decking was one
of the places we checked and was the first and most obvious choice. I
haven't yet had the time to continue my search, but I do plan to contact
the various mills in the area. As far as doing a coop with a local
contractor I'm not sure where to even begin on that, but I know a few
people who might be able to give me some leads.

Thanks to every body else too for all the feedback.

To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote
Have you considered Cypress?
Not that I know that much about it, but from what I've heard, it's
reasonably priced and pretty rot resistant.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm RIGHT, it's just what I read somewhere.

It was once right, but unfortunately you'd be hard pressed to find any old
growth cypress with those properties in the 21st century.

Just my experience, YMMV ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Kate" wrote
Have you considered Cypress?
Not that I know that much about it, but from what I've heard, it's
reasonably priced and pretty rot resistant.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm RIGHT, it's just what I read somewhere.

It was once right, but unfortunately you'd be hard pressed to find any old
growth cypress with those properties in the 21st century.

Just my experience, YMMV ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Ok, thank!
I happened upon a guy locally that cuts Cypress timber. I was looking for a
large board to carve into a Greenman. He GAVE me a nice piece of Cypress
that I have yet to touch. It's Jeepin season, after all.... gotta play with
my baby while I can
I did a little reading on Cypress and thought that it might be a good
choice. Not knowing that it needed to be OLD growth. Though there is
possible there may be a quantity of material being harvested after
katrina.... maybe?

K.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Just curious, they have any decent Locust available for posts in Texas?

Lew

I have never looked Lew, so I could not say.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Swingman" wrote

I just paid $5/inch ... yeah, that's right, $5/inch! ... for double
walled,
stainless steel gas vent installation stacks for two, count'em, two
tankless
water heaters for the same house.

OUCH!!

They really stick it to ya on this GREEN stuff, don't they?

Well they have to include the price of the CARBON CREDITS. LOL

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Gurdon, AK

Hope you didn't drag a trailer to get it.

Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Gurdon, AK

Hope you didn't drag a trailer to get it.

Dave in Houston

Noooooo it all fit in the Tundra nicely and probably could have brought
twice as much but we bought every thing he had in those sizes. We were
thinking table legs. Actually the wood looked rather pathetic as does most
wood that has been setting out air drying. Nice shade of gray, and bowed,
and had splits but for $4 each it was hard to pass up. Cutting them all
into 4' lengths made them look much better. While there, one post was run
through the planer to expose the color and grain of the wood. That was all
it took to decide on all of them. Additionally we got a 10/4 plank 7" wide
by 36" for $4 and a 12/4 plank 8"x 42" or so for $4.

Fortunately this was not a wood specific trip either as it was a long
weekend trip to get out of town and visit, the wood find was the cherry on
top.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I have never looked Lew, so I could not say.

When it comes to wooden posts in contact with the ground, Locust has
few equals.

SFWIW, trying to drive a fence staple into one is an expereience you
won't soon forget.

Lew