Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Yellowheart

Has anyone here worked in this wood? I have been considering making a
small chest with some inlays. I have been considering making the chest
out of either mahogany, red oak, walnut, or yellowheart. I am familiar
with the working properties of mahogany, red oak, walnut, but not
yellowheart. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dean
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:37:36 -0400, Dean wrote:

Has anyone here worked in this wood?

I have limited experience. I only use small amounts for marquetry, small
carvings or inlay accents. I consider it a softer hardwood. Easy to work
by hand. Glues and polishes well. Little to no warping in thin slices.
Use a UV blocker in your finish or it may/will darken. Has consistent
color for inlay patterns and marquetry. I can cut from two boards and
still get a good color match.

I prefer patterns in large surface areas, grain or inlay. Used alone, I
personally find Pau Amarillo plain for it's cost. The grain is usually
visible so I can't use it as a flat color is larger sections like holly
and other woods. I use it to extend my color palette for inlays and
marquetry without dyes or stains.

Stats from the web:
Yellowheart
Botanical Name: Euxylophora Paraens; Pau Amarello
Family: Rutaceae
Other Common Names: Amarello, Limao-rana, Pau setim, Pequia setim (Brazil)
Uses: Furniture, parquet flooring, and brush handles.
Working Properties: Reported not very difficult to work with.
Durability: Reported probably of low resistance to decay.

in the state of para, Brazil.

General Characteristics: A large tree of the €śterra firma€ť reaching a
height of 130 ft. Heartwood bright clear yellow deepening upon exposure;
not sharply defined from the yellowish-white sapwood. Texture is medium;
grain is straight to irregular; luster is high; without distinct odor or
taste.

Weight: Basic specific gravity (ovendry weight/green volume) 0.70; air-
dry density 54 pcf.

Mechanical Properties: (2-in. standard)

Bending Strength:
Green (40): 13,200 psi
12%: 16,200 psi

Modules of Elasticity:
Green (40): 2,040 @ 1,000 psi
12%: 2,180 @ 1,000 psi

Maximum Crushing Strength:
Green (40): 6,440 psi
12%: 9,050 psi

Janka side hardness 1,610 lb for green material and 1,820 lb at 12%
moisture content.

Drying and Shrinkage:
The wood is reported to be easy to season with little tendency to warp or
check. No data on dry kiln schedules available. Shrinkage from green to
ovendry: radial 6.0%; tangential 6.7%; volumetric 12.8%.