Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

Default redwood & copper bowl

redwood root burl bowl with copper leaf and asphaltum, in bright afternoon sun

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Attached Thumbnails
redwood & copper bowl-nubol1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"TJ" wrote in message
redwood root burl bowl with copper leaf and asphaltum, in bright afternoon
sun

Looks nifty with the copper.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"TJ" wrote in
:

redwood root burl bowl with copper leaf and asphaltum, in bright
afternoon sun

VERY nice. Almost looks like gold.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I could have seen it without scrolling around if it had been a few
hundred kb smaller picture. Might have enjoyed it more.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"TJ" wrote in message
.. .
redwood root burl bowl with copper leaf and asphaltum, in bright
afternoon sun

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very Nice. Tell me just what asphaltum is and why you chose to use it? Were
there other options?

--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

"TJ" wrote in message
.. .
redwood root burl bowl with copper leaf and asphaltum, in bright afternoon
sun

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/asphaltum

--
Kevin Miller, Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"Patrick" wrote...
Very Nice. Tell me just what asphaltum is and why you chose to use it? Were
there other options?

I was considering a grey finish rather than an amber one, but liked the amber finish sample better. But already had gotten the red and silver HW. I think I'd prefer bronze with amber or green glass with this color.

Asphaltum is a naturally ocurring tarry goo. Readily solvent in turpentine, it can easily be used to tint oils and varnishes. It can yield a wide range of tones from amber to deep reddish black, depending on the ratio of asphaltum to turpentine. It has a little chatoyance, and will enhance natural chaytoyance of wood somewhat. It looks especially pleasing over aniline dyes.

In this piece, the asphaltum is being used as a basic stain, having been added to some drying oils. The light asphaltum/oil blend is over a just hint of very pale gold aniline dye. Well dried, then sprayed with amber-tinted WB lacquer, then two coats of clear bright rub WB lacquer.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"TJ" wrote...
I was considering a grey finish [...]

OK - got confused and was talking about another piece.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
TJ TJ is offline

"Patrick" wrote...
Very Nice. Tell me just what asphaltum is and why you chose to use it? Were
there other options?

I've found the redwood difficult to finish nicely. It is very soft and sucks up stain like a sponge, becoming very dark very quickly. A very light wash of asphaltum gives a nice color, highlights the grain well.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Redwood Saxman Woodworking 8 January 27th 08 09:37 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Repair 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Ownership 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
REDWOOD CANOE J T Woodworking 0 September 22nd 06 01:44 AM
How to age Redwood SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 2 June 3rd 05 05:07 AM