Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default finish on yellow poplar table

I have a small yellow poplar bedside table. This is not the most
attractive wood in the world to finish. I ad somewhere that a finish of 1)
stain of your choice, 2) shellac and 3) polyurethane makes for a great
finish. I would choose the darkest stain I can find, since poplar is a very
light wood (an oak stain comes out yellow, as a matter of fact.). Any
advice from you expert finishers out there?
Chuck

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Effer Vescent" wrote in message
I have a small yellow poplar bedside table. This is not the most
attractive wood in the world to finish. I ad somewhere that a finish of
1) stain of your choice, 2) shellac and 3) polyurethane makes for a great
finish. I would choose the darkest stain I can find, since poplar is a
very light wood (an oak stain comes out yellow, as a matter of fact.).
Any advice from you expert finishers out there?
Chuck

I typically paint Poplar.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Try this on the underside first so you won't see it.

For really light woods I like to start with a dark walnut color,
then mix a little red mahogany and just a little black into it and reapply
it over the first coat.
Maybe even two coats of the walnut/mahogany and black. It depends on how red
or dark I want it to be.

Usually I come out with a really nice color.

Another thing you might try is the solution a lot of they guys have
suggested, vinegar and steel wool.
I tried it on a sample of maple. After two applications it was a beautiful
color. I'm anxious to try it on one of my carved pieces as a background
color.

Kate