Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Ironwood gloat, continued... (0/1)

I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of the
burl..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of
the
burl..

Good lookin' wood. Looks kinda primitive.

Isn't this stuff hard on tools and sharp edges?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of

the
burl..

Very pretty!

.... now, go pick up those two Allen wrenches, clean the rust off, and put
them back where they belong!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:45:36 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of
the
burl..

Good lookin' wood. Looks kinda primitive.

Isn't this stuff hard on tools and sharp edges?

It's kind of strange, Lee... Some tools cut it like any wood, some just don't
work on it..

I thought that I'd be sharpening my lathe chisels 10 times more often, but it's
just about normal..
Scrapers either work on it, or it decides to make them catch.. I never HAD a
catch with a scraper before..

It's a long, tiring process to cut it with a chain saw, but small pieces cut off
pretty easy with a hand saw.. go figure..

I can power and hand sand it almost normally, but it gets VERY hot when sanded..
OTOH, heat doesn't seem to crack or check it, just make it shine more..

The other day I was turning one and didn't like the tenon, so I turned a larger
one while it was chucked to the old one..
No big deal, I do it sometimes and just sand off the old tenon with the 12" disk
sander and chuck the new one..
N O T.. It took like 20 seconds to clog up a brand new disk with black crap that
laughs at a crepe stick..
So, I held the sucker up against the 80 grit wheel on the grinder, and managed
to round the edges of the old tenon while totally clogging up the wheel.. lol

Then, I tried a wood rasp and it took it down like I was working maple or
something..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:35:49 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of

the
burl..

Very pretty!

... now, go pick up those two Allen wrenches, clean the rust off, and put
them back where they belong!

Good job, Swing.. ya made me go look at the pictures to see what ya were talking
about.. lol

Those are rebar "hooks" that they use to life the rebar and screen when they're
pouring cement..
I guess they forgot their quality tools when they cleaned up after the carport
job..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

Good job, Swing.. ya made me go look at the pictures to see what ya were

talking
about.. lol

Sorry, mac ... I'm getting more like my old man everyday!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of
the
burl..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

So what kinda Iron Wood is it?

Great work BTY. ;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hardly poor camera work, quite the opposite.. I'd have to turn at least a
couple pens to carry around or sell from that wood, too. Great color
variation and so hard it should really polish up..

"mac davis" wrote in message
I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of
the
burl..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:41:45 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I've had a few requests for pictures, so pardon my poor camera work..

I got a picture of the 2nd piece that he gave me, but didn't take one of
the
burl..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

So what kinda Iron Wood is it?

Great work BTY. ;~)

Thanks..
I think the correct term is "desert ironwood"?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:15:01 -0800, "Jim Hall" wrote:

Hardly poor camera work, quite the opposite.. I'd have to turn at least a
couple pens to carry around or sell from that wood, too. Great color
variation and so hard it should really polish up..

Yeah.. In the last week I've sold 3 or the 5 pens that I made..

Gonna be lots of scraps for pens out of this piece, too..

.. .