Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Mounting brass casings

Also related to my father-in-laws funeral I would like some suggestions on a
different item. After they fired his 21 gun salute they gave us the rifle
brass from the firing. I would like mount these brass on little plaques.
I'm looking for suggestions how to go about this.

1) I'm thinking along the lines of a base that has a T-slot in the back so
that it can either be layed flat or hung on a nail.

2) I can cut a shallow groove and use adhesive to glue the brass on
Question, what type of adhesive will work best? Advantage of this method is
that the entire casing including the fired primer and base markings are
mostly visible. Disadvantage is what if the adhesive lets go sometime, the
brass falls off the plaque.

3) I can create two small pieces of wood that would stand up on the base.
I'm thinking that one would have a hole all the way through to slip over the
neck of the casing and the second one would have a shallow round hole to set
the bottom of the casing in. Then attach the two pieces of wood to the
base. The brass stands up off the base a bit on these two pieces of wood
and is firmly held between the two. Advantage is that no glue is needed and
the brass could never come off the plaque unless the plaque is dismantled.
Disadvantage is that a good share of the neck is inside the one wood
standard and the base is of the brass is completely inside the shallow hole
in the other standard. You see enough of the brass to get the idea what it
is but it is somewhat covered. One mitigating thing might be to drill the
hole for the base on through with a slightly smaller bit so that you can
look through the hole and see the fired cap and some of the markings but the
brass would not be able to slip through.

Any other thoughts or suggestions very welcome.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thoughts:

Glue - I would use either epoxy or polyurathane (Gorilla Glue). Use as
little as possible. Polish the brass and then clean with acetone or IPA to
remove any grease or wax.

I'm assuming these are .30-06 casings? Another way to mount them would be
to knock (press) the primers out of the base and mount them with a #0 screw
through the primer hole.

wheel mounting on play structure mounting questions? bobmct Home Repair 4 July 15th 07 04:42 PM
Mounting a yard... Jeremy Collins UK diy 6 August 15th 05 06:05 PM
Mounting motor Keith Young Woodturning 5 June 20th 05 09:02 AM
Boiler Mounting John UK diy 4 March 6th 05 06:48 PM
Mounting my shaper. Peter Reilley Metalworking 7 January 8th 04 06:16 AM