Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Drill Press Table

I just finished one of my first projects in many many years, a larger table for my drill press.

The original plans came from Runner Duck (thank you) and were modified to fit my drill press. One question should I put some sort of finish on it or leave it bare.

Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

asmurff wrote:
| I just finished one of my first projects in many many years, a
| larger table for my drill press.

Looks pretty good! You /might/ want to consider widening the column
cutout to permit tilting the table...

| The original plans came from Runner Duck (thank you) and were
| modified to fit my drill press. One question should I put some
| sort of finish on it or leave it bare.

Depends on how you're going to use it. If you're going to do metal
work and use lubricant, then a coat of poly would prevent soaking the
wood with oil. If you do that, coat top bottom and edges to prevent
warping.

If you're not going to use it for metals, the friction of an
unfinished surface helps to keep workpieces from slipping around.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:13:22 -0600, "asmurff"
wrote:

I just finished one of my first projects in many many years, a larger table for my drill press.

The original plans came from Runner Duck (thank you) and were modified to fit my drill press. One question should I put some sort of finish on it or leave it bare.

Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying

Good job! There have been several of these designs in magazines
recently... which one did you build, or was it your own design?
Anything you'd do differently?

Bob the Tomato
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The design I started with came from www.runnerduck.com . Main difference
were the original was for a Delta drill press and mine is a Ryobi. I did use
a piece of MDF on the fence instead of 3/4" plywood. Plus I made my top a
bit bigger 12"x24" as opposed to 10"x16". If I was going to build it again
I'd do a couple of things different such as; notched the stiffener pieces to
fit under the lip of the metal table, and possible used MDF for all of it. I
may yet replace the fence with aluminum and add the stick on tape measures
from Rockler.