Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Need Help with Physical and Aesthetic Centre of Gravity on Speaker Stands (w/pic)

In article ,
"David F. Eisan" wrote:

I am at a loss at where the vertical post should meet the top and bottom
platform so they look good and don't topple.

If the camera is not lying, the physical is the same as if it was a
straight stick, as top and bottom appear to line up. However, that
(probably) won't cover "not toppling" too well due to the rather drastic
aspect ratio - small size base, tall stick, weight (speaker) on top of
stick - probably unstable. With no children/cats/dogs, you might get
away with it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 23:19 -0700, David F. Eisan wrote:

I am at a loss at where the vertical post should meet the top and bottom
platform so they look good and don't topple.

Any ideas?

Are you sure it's legal to post something like that in prime time?

- Doug

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hello everyone,

I started on my first bit of woodworking not related to home renovations
tonight for the first time in a real long time.

I lost the shelves that my small bookshelf speakers rested on and I wanted
something to hold them off the floor beside the TV.

I almost got them done tonight but I got stuck with the physical and
aesthetic center of gravity placement of the vertical post vs. the top and
bottom platforms.

The speakers are 20 year old Infinity RS1000's that I replaced the main
drivers in two years ago due to surround cracking from age.

I am at a loss at where the vertical post should meet the top and bottom
platform so they look good and don't topple.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Attached Thumbnails
Need Help with Physical and Aesthetic Centre of Gravity on Speaker Stands (w/pic)-splayout-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The center of gravity of the speaker must fall within the outline of the
top portion of the stand, so as not to fall off the stand. The center of
gravity of the entire assembly - speaker plus stand - must fall within
the outline of the bottom portion of the stand, so the stand does not
topple over. The farther away from the edge of an outline the CG is, the
more stable the stand.

In the picture, the top and bottom platforms are offset horizontally
from each other, this will make fulfilling both conditions more
difficult... As stated earlier, any curvature of the post does not matter.

The top and bottom platforms might be kind of small, but I don't know
how big the speakers are...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

David F. Eisan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Just another thought: unless your floor is perfectly level where you place
the stand, your CG might still shift no matter how careful you are to build
the stand. Your speakers may also not have a CG on their own centreline
either.

My recommendation is to over compensate.

- Owen -

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
The speaker is the same size as the top platform and only 1' high. The
bottom platform is 1" wider than the top.

David.

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

I started on my first bit of woodworking not related to home renovations
tonight for the first time in a real long time.

I lost the shelves that my small bookshelf speakers rested on and I
wanted something to hold them off the floor beside the TV.

I almost got them done tonight but I got stuck with the physical and
aesthetic center of gravity placement of the vertical post vs. the top
and bottom platforms.

The speakers are 20 year old Infinity RS1000's that I replaced the main
drivers in two years ago due to surround cracking from age.

I am at a loss at where the vertical post should meet the top and bottom
platform so they look good and don't topple.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him Hello everyone,

I started on my first bit of woodworking not related to home renovations
tonight for the first time in a real long time.

I lost the shelves that my small bookshelf speakers rested on and I
wanted something to hold them off the floor beside the TV.

I almost got them done tonight but I got stuck with the physical and
aesthetic center of gravity placement of the vertical post vs. the top
and bottom platforms.

The speakers are 20 year old Infinity RS1000's that I replaced the main
drivers in two years ago due to surround cracking from age.

I am at a loss at where the vertical post should meet the top and bottom
platform so they look good and don't topple.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The top piece will need to be pretty much centered over the bottom
piece. Where the post connects to each piece is up to you. While the
curvature doesn't affect the mounting points, it will shift the CG of
the stand slightly in the direction of the curve. I would place the
mounting points 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back on both top and bottom
pieces, with the the post curving towards to front.

Another thought - you mentioned that the speakers are 20 years old. Have
you checked if they can be put where you intend without interfering with
the TV screen? Speakers intended for placement near a CRT are
magnetically shielded...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

I started on my first bit of woodworking not related to home renovations
tonight for the first time in a real long time.

I lost the shelves that my small bookshelf speakers rested on and I
wanted something to hold them off the floor beside the TV.

I almost got them done tonight but I got stuck with the physical and
aesthetic center of gravity placement of the vertical post vs. the top
and bottom platforms.

The speakers are 20 year old Infinity RS1000's that I replaced the main
drivers in two years ago due to surround cracking from age.

I am at a loss at where the vertical post should meet the top and bottom
platform so they look good and don't topple.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I will not rehash what everyone else has said, but two things to also
consider, 1 to help with the uneven floor and the cat rubbing against it,
try some spiked feet (link included) . 2. Also try to add some weight to the
base, I am going to try and get some marble or granite for more. The center
of Gravity for the speakers will not be in the center, it will in fact be
slightly front, but in a small speaker like this it will be almost
insignificant. I also used double stick tape to hold mine down to the stand.