Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 22:53:28 -0700, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

Big project. Did you do the laminate countertop yourself? If so, how
difficult was rounding the edging?

Nice to see that there are other adults who like Fruit Loops cereal. :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hello everyone,

It has been quite a while since I have posted an update with my Kitchen.

Here is what the original kitchen looked like,

start.jpg

Slab doors with t-mould edging, no backs on the cabinets and sagging from
the ceiling in the middles. Countertop had rotted underneath faucet and
water leaked into the cabinet below, rotting it out too.

Did I mention that this was a modest starter house?

Next, rip things apart,

demo1.jpg

demo2.jpg

demo3.jpg

We have forced air, but two years ago when the furnace gave out, we had to
fire up the original electric heat for a few days. The heater in the kitchen
didn't work, but I never looked into why. Turns out the reason was, it was
disconnected. It was screwed to the wall, but the wires were not connected.
Wanna guess if there was a live 220 wire behind the wall? Ayup, there was.
Mike Holmes would have torn the house down .

You can see the large pile of very bad pine wainscoting on the floor that
was installed over the wall paper.

I tore up the linoleum along with two layers of sticky back tile and the
1/4" underlayment.

Who would have thought a cabinet could get hung up on a single nail in a
piece of quarter round?

tile2.jpg

After laying another 1/2" of ply over the original 1/2" subfloor, I started
to tile.

I don't mind tiling, but it turns out I suck at grouting. Good thing
Katarina had done this before and saved the day, fixing up my mess.

grout1.jpg

I was reusing the sink and faucet, so I used the old countertop as a
template for the new countertop sink cutout.

counter1.jpg

To install the uppers, I shot a line around the room and temporarily screwed
a 2x4 to the wall as I fastened each cabinet. The yet to be installed
backsplash will cover any holes.

For the lowers I jointed two faces of a 2x4 and permanently screwed it to
the studs on a level line to support the backs of the cabinets. The fronts
are on adjustable legs.

install1.jpg

I still need to replace this light fixture,

kittyinwindow.jpg

Here is how things stand right now,

install2.jpg

I need to tile the backsplash, retrim the window, replace the light fixture,
a small amount of trim, a little painting and voila, all done.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Attached Thumbnails
Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-counter1-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-demo3-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-install1-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-demo1-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-tile2-jpg

Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-demo2-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-start-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-grout1-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-kittyinwindow-jpg  Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)-install2-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Really nice job on a very ambitious project, David!