DJ Delorie

Default Play in live center?

Eddie Munster writes:
Now my question relates to a small amount of lateral play in the live
center. Is this normal? Is it okay?

Yes. The Oneway web site talks about this; their centers are designed
to be self-centering when a load is put on them, and then all the play
goes away. Your other center has no play because it's too tight.

David Wade

Not a problem. Means there is a proper tolerance in the bearings. As
soon as you put pressure on the center the play disappears as the
bearings settle into the races. Will be zero play "when turning" which
is when it matters. Use it and enjoy it.
David

Eddie Munster wrote:
I just bought the fancy dandy live center from Oneway. The one with the
cone and cup and point. Late Christmas present from my wife.

Now my question relates to a small amount of lateral play in the live
center. Is this normal? Is it okay? I checked 4 of them in the store and
picked out the one with the least amount of play.

Now my cheapo live center that came with my delta lathe has no play.

But all these live centers have a something like one or two thousandths
of an inch lateral play in them, even when I am pushing in on them.

I thought it would be zero play?

Any thoughts? Comparisions to your own? Musings?

John

Eddie Munster

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I did chuck up a spot of wood and it
did indeed firm up. So I'll keep it.

I can't find anything about it on their website or in the paperwork that
came with it though. I wish there was though. But then I would be saying
I never read the directions! : )

John

mac davis

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:53:19 -0500, Eddie Munster
wrote:

I just bought the fancy dandy live center from Oneway. The one with the
cone and cup and point. Late Christmas present from my wife.

Now my question relates to a small amount of lateral play in the live
center. Is this normal? Is it okay? I checked 4 of them in the store and
picked out the one with the least amount of play.

Now my cheapo live center that came with my delta lathe has no play.

But all these live centers have a something like one or two thousandths
of an inch lateral play in them, even when I am pushing in on them.

I thought it would be zero play?

Any thoughts? Comparisions to your own? Musings?

John

I had the same question about the live center that came with my Jet mini..

The folks at Jet said the same thing that DJ said... that it needed play to
rotate freely and would self align...

I've used it on a about 100 or so turnings since December and it seems to run
true so far... YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bill Rubenstein

You might want to ask Jet where they got that idea. Then you might also
want to compare a Oneway and a Jet center side-by-side. Then you might
want to figure out which came first and try to figure out why they look
so much alike.

Bill

wrote:

[...]

There should be no "slack" in a live center, return it for a functional
one.

mac davis

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:35:29 -0500, Eddie Munster
wrote:

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I did chuck up a spot of wood and it
did indeed firm up. So I'll keep it.

I can't find anything about it on their website or in the paperwork that
came with it though. I wish there was though. But then I would be saying
I never read the directions! : )

John

If you have any questions, call Oneway..
I've talked to their office several times for tech help and parts and they're
very user-supportive... (and have a toll free number)