mac davis

Default Band saw table pin?

Anyone know what the table pin actually does?

While putting on the riser kit this weekend, I noticed that the table pin was
missing...

No idea how long it's been out and can't find it, of course....
I've got a tapered dowel in there now that seems to "work", though I have no
idea what it's supposed to do..

Hold the slot open? (why?)

Hold the blade insert in? (how?)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Derek Andrews

mac davis wrote:
Anyone know what the table pin actually does?

It prevents the table casting from warping.

I lost mine, but the local dealer was able to get a spare.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

DJ Delorie

mac davis writes:
Hold the slot open? (why?)

Two things:

1. Straightens the miter slot (by slightly expanding the table).

2. Aligns the table vertically (i.e. no bumping as the wood crosses
the slot).

IMHO #2 is the important reason.
mac davis

On 23 Feb 2005 11:40:35 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

mac davis writes:
Hold the slot open? (why?)

Two things:

1. Straightens the miter slot (by slightly expanding the table).

2. Aligns the table vertically (i.e. no bumping as the wood crosses
the slot).

IMHO #2 is the important reason.

Thanks, Derek & D J... I guess I'll have to order one from ridgid if mine
doesn't turn up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Patriarch

mac davis wrote in
:

snip

Thanks, Derek & D J... I guess I'll have to order one from ridgid if mine
doesn't turn up..

Yours is hiding in the shavings and sawdust under a loaded shelf in the
corner of the shop. At least that's where mine always goes, when it's
feeling underappreciated.

Patriarch

George

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Thanks, Derek & D J... I guess I'll have to order one from ridgid if

mine
doesn't turn up..

Yours is hiding in the shavings and sawdust under a loaded shelf in the
corner of the shop. At least that's where mine always goes, when it's
feeling underappreciated.

Patriarch

Time to bag and drag the magnets around....

mac davis

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:03:51 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

snip

Thanks, Derek & D J... I guess I'll have to order one from ridgid if mine
doesn't turn up..

Yours is hiding in the shavings and sawdust under a loaded shelf in the
corner of the shop. At least that's where mine always goes, when it's
feeling underappreciated.

Patriarch

I think the shop gremlins got it.. after looking about 20 times, I had the
grandkids looking with large magnets on dowels..
They found a LOT of interesting hardware, but no table pin.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Barry N. Turner

You might wanna look inside your shop vac................that's where I find
most of my stuff..................Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:03:51 -0600, Patriarch

wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

snip

Thanks, Derek & D J... I guess I'll have to order one from ridgid if

mine
doesn't turn up..

Yours is hiding in the shavings and sawdust under a loaded shelf in the
corner of the shop. At least that's where mine always goes, when it's
feeling underappreciated.

Patriarch

I think the shop gremlins got it.. after looking about 20 times, I had the
grandkids looking with large magnets on dowels..
They found a LOT of interesting hardware, but no table pin.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Derek Andrews

Barry N. Turner wrote:
You might wanna look inside your shop vac................that's where I find
most of my stuff..................Barry

I once found a missing pair of spring calipers while cleaning out the
wood stove. Needless to say they didn't have much spring left in them.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Dan Bollinger

How do you know it's working..........if you don't know what it does?

Barry

Barry, The pin is there on purpose. They the table was cut halfway through
to allow the blade to pass, it allowed any internal forces in the iron
casting to release. This often causes a warped table. Two thing may happen.
First, you may hit a 'bump' as you begin sawing. Second, and more likely,
your miter gage will not slide smoothly. After changing the blade, tap the
tapered pin into place until your miter gage moves smoothly with no catches.
Dan

"mac davis" wrote in message
Anyone know what the table pin actually does?

While putting on the riser kit this weekend, I noticed that the table

pin
was
missing...

No idea how long it's been out and can't find it, of course....
I've got a tapered dowel in there now that seems to "work", though I

have
no
idea what it's supposed to do..

Hold the slot open? (why?)

Hold the blade insert in? (how?)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Sun, 15 May 2005 08:25:59 -0500, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

wow, Barry.. you must of pulled this out of the archives!!
the tapered dowel, (which is still in there) fit, and the saw cut, so I figured
the saw "worked"..
I'd guess that if I had also mentioned that i had a larger, wood table over the
steel one, that it would of been less important or whatever..

How do you know it's working..........if you don't know what it does?

Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone know what the table pin actually does?

While putting on the riser kit this weekend, I noticed that the table pin

was
missing...

No idea how long it's been out and can't find it, of course....
I've got a tapered dowel in there now that seems to "work", though I have

no
idea what it's supposed to do..

Hold the slot open? (why?)

Hold the blade insert in? (how?)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sun, 15 May 2005 08:27:37 -0500, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

You might wanna look inside your shop vac................that's where I find
most of my stuff..................Barry

before I got a DC, I used to find 3/4" bench pegs in the shop vac all the
time..lol

I always fish a large magnet around in the shavings before emptying the vac or
cyclone, so it wasn't there.. it will probably show up the day after I buy a new
pin..

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:03:51 -0600, Patriarch

wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

snip

Thanks, Derek & D J... I guess I'll have to order one from ridgid if

mine
doesn't turn up..

Yours is hiding in the shavings and sawdust under a loaded shelf in the
corner of the shop. At least that's where mine always goes, when it's
feeling underappreciated.

Patriarch

I think the shop gremlins got it.. after looking about 20 times, I had the
grandkids looking with large magnets on dowels..
They found a LOT of interesting hardware, but no table pin.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

wrote:

You might wanna look inside your shop vac................that's where I

find
most of my stuff..................Barry

before I got a DC, I used to find 3/4" bench pegs in the shop vac all the
time..lol

I always fish a large magnet around in the shavings before emptying the

vac or
cyclone, so it wasn't there.. it will probably show up the day after I buy

a new
pin..

Go "panning," by shaking and bouncing the shavings. Heavier stuff will head
for the bottom. Then the magnet.

I had gone from steel to easily snipped brass welding rod on my old pin
chuck, just so I wouldn't bother looking. Took more time than cutting a new
one. The thicker one from Best Wood Tools has fallen into the bag twice so
far. Don't need to say the bag was full both times, do I? Never falls when
the bag's freshly emptied.

Brian

don't worry about it, you have the tapered dowel in there and it is doing
the job of both keeping the slot open but more importantly keeping the top
of the table flat so it doesn't warp at the slot.

Brian

Barry N. Turner

Yep, my saw has one, too. I was just never clear on its purpose. I assumed
it had something to do with keeping the table flat, but wasn't absolutely
sure. Actually, I was just tweaking your brain a bit with my smart-assed
comment. :-)

Barry