rick pixley

Default sandblast

Recently I used a sandblaster for texturing an avacodo bowl and loved the
results..I'm wondering if anyone slse here does this and if so what type of
"masking" they would use to limit the blasted areas..
thanks,Rick

Paul

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:30:05 -0500, "rick pixley"
wrote:

Recently I used a sandblaster for texturing an avacodo bowl and loved the
results..I'm wondering if anyone slse here does this and if so what type of
"masking" they would use to limit the blasted areas..
thanks,Rick

I've just started experimenting with sandblasting too. What grade of
grit is best? I'm working with 80 grit at the moment but maybe I
should go coarser?

Cheers

Paul
www.hannaby.com
replace spamtrap with rcwmail for email replies

I've done a little glass blasting-- I used the fine sand-- Masked the
glass off with three or four sheets of plastic shelf liner & used a
knife to cut my design. With sand blasting, make sure you use a booth
for the blasting & do it in a well ventilated area with dust mask--
(read the warnings on the sand bag) The silica dust is REALLY bad for
you-- The glass I did this on was red flashed glass ( red on one side)
-- worked really well & left a frosty surface.

Jules

Thanks for responding. This is what I was needing to know. I am wanting
to give it a try on small items just for fun. I was planning on getting
a small blasting cabinet for it. I thought the dust would be contained
but probably not. So it will become a backyard thing to do. With a
dustmask, that works.

Do you have any experience with the glass etching goo sold in craft stores?

wrote:
I've done a little glass blasting-- I used the fine sand-- Masked the
glass off with three or four sheets of plastic shelf liner & used a
knife to cut my design. With sand blasting, make sure you use a booth
for the blasting & do it in a well ventilated area with dust mask--
(read the warnings on the sand bag) The silica dust is REALLY bad for
you-- The glass I did this on was red flashed glass ( red on one side)
-- worked really well & left a frosty surface.

I havn't done it myself, but was at a Trent Bosch turning demo recently
where he was talking about using ground (not beaded) glass for
sandblasting. Also, he uses electrical tape to mask in detailed areas
of his turnings. The product looked great.
I have worked for sign shops that did sandblasting, they use a product
called "butter cut", which is a self adhesive, easily cut kinda thick
rubber sheet. It resists blasting best, but is a bit expensive. Cuts
easily (hence the name) with a craft knife.

Martin Rost

I've used regular masking tape to protect areas during sandblasting. Works
well and you probably have it on hand.
--
Martin
Long Island, New York

wrote in message
oups.com...
I havn't done it myself, but was at a Trent Bosch turning demo recently
where he was talking about using ground (not beaded) glass for
sandblasting. Also, he uses electrical tape to mask in detailed areas
of his turnings. The product looked great.
I have worked for sign shops that did sandblasting, they use a product
called "butter cut", which is a self adhesive, easily cut kinda thick
rubber sheet. It resists blasting best, but is a bit expensive. Cuts
easily (hence the name) with a craft knife.

Ken Moon

"Jules" wrote in message
Thanks for responding. This is what I was needing to know. I am wanting to
give it a try on small items just for fun. I was planning on getting a
small blasting cabinet for it. I thought the dust would be contained but
probably not. So it will become a backyard thing to do. With a dustmask,
that works.

Do you have any experience with the glass etching goo sold in craft
stores?

The "glass etching goo" is hydroflouric acid, and it can be some nasty
stuff. Treat it like you would battery acid and you'll be OK. You have to
have a good masking material for your pattern. It takes about 5 minutes to
etch a glass piece with this stuff.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX