Nigel Cutmore

Default Timber for turning

I have a large Cherry tree approx. 2 feet in diameter in my garden that
I wish to fell and use the timber for turning various objects. Can
anyone advise me on the best way of cutting, converting and storing the
timber?
Thanks Nigel

Derek Andrews

Nigel Cutmore wrote:
I have a large Cherry tree approx. 2 feet in diameter in my garden that
I wish to fell and use the timber for turning various objects. Can
anyone advise me on the best way of cutting, converting and storing the
timber?

It really depends on what you have available to you. A bandsaw mill is
best, but generally operators don't like backyard trees because of the
danger of nails. That pretty much leaves you with chainsaw or trying to
split it with wedges.

The other factor of course is what do you want to make from it? Small
bowls, big bowls, green turned natural edge bowls, spindle turnings? If
it were me I would probably look at taking a three inch board out of the
center (then cutting the pith out of that) for small bowls (~10x3) or
spindles, leaving two big slabs either side for salad bowls (~ 20x9).

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

mac davis

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:00:31 +0000, Nigel Cutmore
wrote:

I have a large Cherry tree approx. 2 feet in diameter in my garden that
I wish to fell and use the timber for turning various objects. Can
anyone advise me on the best way of cutting, converting and storing the
timber?
Thanks Nigel

Some real life advice from 2 of my heroes:

http://aroundthewoods.com/firewood.shtml

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/logcutting.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bush dishonesty: Falsely denies owning timber company (during debate) Florida Patriot Woodworking 28 October 15th 04 10:06 PM
What is dimensional stability? John Woodworking 9 June 17th 04 06:59 AM
Timber, politics and the quality of life. Michael Mcneil Woodworking 8 June 2nd 04 03:06 AM
Conservatory in Timber Mark B UK diy 7 October 31st 03 04:55 PM
Is tanalised timber green? Eric Cartman UK diy 14 July 18th 03 05:26 PM