Will

Default KWL1016C up and running.

Well I got it running. The only real delay was the table. I had actually
turned the lathe on when I brought it home to check for bearing and
motor noise.

A link to the lathe pictures.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...urnedwood.html

I expect full commentary on the first project. :-)
Surely there are some tips you can give so I can address the finer
nuances of this first -- very difficult -- project. lol

The inexpensive King Tools turned out better than expected -- although I
did sharpen them. Tried the two skews and the roughing gouge only
though. Used the small skew only for a quick test.

Left the lathe at the middle speed -- was going to change it (up) but
the cylinder smoothed up pretty quick. Maybe after I get some beauty rest.

The face shield was coated with fine shavings -- better than than my
eyebrows I guess.

All-in-all very pleased with the lathe and the tools. Quiet and smooth,
and the tools cut smoothly.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Will

Nice setup Will, and a sturdy bench, looks good !!
Is that bench high enough ?, it is probably the picture that makes it
look low.
Your first rolling pin ?? Thanks for sharing, love to see those things.
And you're hooked now for sure G
The skews secret is having it sharp, not just sharp, but REAL SHARP.
It also takes a lot of practice, you should get a hold of Alan Laser
Video on how to use the skew, it's one of the best around.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Will wrote:

[...]

George

Will wrote:

I expect full commentary on the first project. :-)
Surely there are some tips you can give so I can address the finer
nuances of this first -- very difficult -- project. lol

The inexpensive King Tools turned out better than expected -- although I
did sharpen them. Tried the two skews and the roughing gouge only
though. Used the small skew only for a quick test.

Left the lathe at the middle speed -- was going to change it (up) but
the cylinder smoothed up pretty quick. Maybe after I get some beauty

rest.

The face shield was coated with fine shavings -- better than than my
eyebrows I guess.

Alan Lacer

If your shield is covered with shavings, I offer this tip - practice your
attack angle so that the shavings fall as they are removed. This is a great
indicator that you're cutting the wood, which gives a better surface. Look
at the shavings and see if you're getting a clean edge where your tool cut.
Good indicator as well. Habits developed now will save a lot of sanding
later.

Will

George & Leo:

As usual thanks to everyone for the tips.

I left the shavings to see what would be said. "I'll bet these guys are
good" I thought. "They can probably tell me the angle at which I held
the skew." ROTFLMAO. Case closed :-)

Correct as diagnosed.

The shavings are very fine and fluffy and float in the air. So it might
be difficult to let them fall. :-) The wood is quite dry. As for the
surface -- tried sanding in one spot - no significant improvement with
a couple of light passes. Smooth when I started -- tiny bit smoother
when finished. Happy about that.

George wrote:
"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Your first rolling pin ?? Thanks for sharing, love to see those things.
And you're hooked now for sure G

Couldn't put the tools down till it was as good as I could make it.
Worse than drugs!

Yeah - guess I'll have to put ends on it. :-) Course that would just
make it easier for SWMBO to beat me with it... Glad her name isn't
Maggie! Maybe I'll let her put the ends on it. If I'm to be beaten with
it she should do part of the work don't you think? g

The skews secret is having it sharp, not just sharp, but REAL SHARP.
It also takes a lot of practice, you should get a hold of Alan Laser
Video on how to use the skew, it's one of the best around.

Got a couple of books. Didn't seem much help till I held the tools again
then everything came rushing back. Now the books make sense again.

Intellectual understanding is good - but when you turn the theory to
practice is when you get physical and emotional understanding backing up
your thoughts. Then you get/regain a complete understanding.

Will wrote:

I expect full commentary on the first project. :-)
Surely there are some tips you can give so I can address the finer
nuances of this first -- very difficult -- project. lol

The inexpensive King Tools turned out better than expected -- although I
did sharpen them. Tried the two skews and the roughing gouge only
though. Used the small skew only for a quick test.

Left the lathe at the middle speed -- was going to change it (up) but
the cylinder smoothed up pretty quick. Maybe after I get some beauty

rest.

The face shield was coated with fine shavings -- better than than my
eyebrows I guess.

Alan Lacer

If your shield is covered with shavings, I offer this tip - practice your
attack angle so that the shavings fall as they are removed.

Will try. I was using it as a "leveler" which is very tricky. Will try
using it as a "plane" today. Good reminder and tip.

This is a great
indicator that you're cutting the wood, which gives a better surface. Look
at the shavings and see if you're getting a clean edge where your tool cut.

Very clean surface - would require almost no sanding.

Good indicator as well. Habits developed now will save a lot of sanding
later.

Amen!!!!

I'll post the names of the books I got and see what advice people can
offer as to what's better and what "advice" to be careful of in these books.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek