Camoman

Default Help Please about a spindle copier

I have a wood lathe from Canadian Tire and was wondering if a spindle copier
will fit on my lathe from sears? Does ayone have anyone idea if it will fit.
Sears says try it and see. are those spindle copiers any good?

billh

"Camoman" wrote in message
I have a wood lathe from Canadian Tire and was wondering if a spindle
copier will fit on my lathe from sears? Does ayone have anyone idea if it
will fit. Sears says try it and see. are those spindle copiers any good?

I don't know if it will fit your lathe. Do you really need a spindle copier?
With some practice and making a storyboard of the reference spindle to take
measurements from at key positions you should be able to make suitable
copies. I personally wouldn't bother buying one but I don't make a whole lot
of identical spindles so my opinion perhaps isn't the best.

Billh

Camoman

I fix chairs for a friend and need to do about 250 to 400 spindles a year. I
have 25 spindles to do and about 7 different sizes and lengths. I was just
wondering if it would make my life easier. My friend will buy it if it fits.
I guess all I can do is try it. Thanks anyway.

George

"Camoman" wrote in message
I fix chairs for a friend and need to do about 250 to 400 spindles a year.

have 25 spindles to do and about 7 different sizes and lengths. I was just
wondering if it would make my life easier. My friend will buy it if it

fits.
I guess all I can do is try it. Thanks anyway.

Never liked folks who answer their own questions instead of mine, but at the
risk of....

I would like to remind you that there are two types out there. The cheapest
are capable of following a template, the more expensive, capable of
following a spindle used as a template. For "fixing" chairs, I would say
you'll want the one capable of using the remainder spindle as a template.

No answer to your original. Only one I've ever used was high-end Delta.

Dan Klima

I am not familiar with the duplicator you mentioned, but I will proceed to
put in my two cents about duplicators.

I just recently got a Vega 24" Midi Duplicator and use it with my Nova
Mercury Lathe. I don't really have that many spindles to copy at the
moment - just a few here and there. Mostly got it as an investment in
"futures". Funny thing, as soon as it arrived, I got quite a few requests
for duplicate spindles. What I have seen with the "cheapies" is that they
don't tend to do that good of a job. The Vega is a quality machine that
produces a quality product - but you pay the price. So to make a long story
short - you get what you pay for, so I went with the Vega. I'm sure there
are other good duplicators out there, but that is what I had access to.

Sorry for the long winded comments.
- Dan Klima