Junior Member

Default vicmarc tailstock problem

I have a VL 200 and the tailstock is stuck. It will not advance or retreat. I removed the locking handle and there appears to be a piece of metal in there which does not match the color of the shaft which is "supposed" to move in and out, was it attached to the locking handle and now binding the movement? I also tried to remove the set screw opposite the locking handle and it will only rotate 2-3 degrees either way and then is bound tight. It appears to align with the keyway, any idea that the problem might exist here, if so suggestions please?
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Mike

You may have 2 problems at once, if you turned the tailstock out to far
then it will not go back or forward again, I don't have a vicmarc but I
think the quill is kept from turning by the lock handle bold, so you
will have to back that out hold the quill from rotating by hand, pushing
back while turning the tailstock wheel to retract the quill, now about
the other piece of metal, what shape is it, is it a piece that fits the
key way ? or is it maybe a part that helps to eject your taper ?, the
lock handle bold, does it go all the way trough and go directly into the
key way or is that piece of metal used to prevent galling up the key way
by having that between the lock bold and quill ?.
It is hard for me to give you advice without looking at it, I would take
the locking bold out and try to pull the quill right out and then try to
visualize how the pieces fit together, its the best I can do for you,
from here.
Oh one other thing do you have a operating manual with it, very often
there is a part list in it and they line up the assembly's in them, that
might help you some.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mike daley wrote:
I have a VL 200 and the tailstock is stuck. It will not advance or
retreat. I removed the locking handle and there appears to be a piece
of metal in there which does not match the color of the shaft which is
"supposed" to move in and out, was it attached to the locking handle
and now binding the movement? I also tried to remove the set screw
opposite the locking handle and it will only rotate 2-3 degrees either
way and then is bound tight. It appears to align with the keyway, any
idea that the problem might exist here, if so suggestions please?

Michael Lehmann

I'm also having trouble with my tailstock and also getting tecknatool to
reply. I have a TL1000 and they may have forgot about them.
It doesn't wind properly (I've only had the lathe 2 months, it was my
grandfathers)
There is a keyed round piece that has thread on one end that the winder
handle winds on. The handle sits through a collar inside the tailstock and
gets locked in by an o-ring preventing it from going out of the collar. (The
collar gets locked in by a grub screw)
When I put the threaded bit in, it will wind in and out wih no problem, but
as soon as i put pressure on it, the winder handle starts winding out.
I think the problem lies in the o-ring. It is split, otherwise it would
never go on, but, mine has a gap of about 1.5mm.
I did get them to send me the manual, but nothing about the tailstock
workings in that.
Anyone had this problem?
Cheers
Mick

--
mike daley

I suggest you check with Craft Supplies, they have sold quite a few of
the Vl 200 and may have some suggestions on the tailstock. Trouble
sometimes will start when a center does not extract and something comes
unwound. The group of Vicmarc owners may also have some more answers.
GT