Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Darrell Feltmate

Default Thoughts on sanding

I realize this has been done before but I thought I would upset someone or
other with a few thoughts on most people's not so favorite part of our
craft, sanding. To me a badly finished piece of work is a bad looking and
badly crafted piece of work. For a good finish you need a good surface and
that usually means a well sanded piece. Some times I think I should be
considered a wood sander instead of a wood turner :-) So here are some
thoughts in more or less random order on getting that finish.

1) The first step in sanding is the best finish cut you can make on the
piece you are turning now. Just because the last piece of wood let you get
started with 220 grit does not mean this one will not need 40. Some woods
tear or pull no matter what you do. Set the ego aside and get the job done.
On the other hand strive to get that last great cut.

2) There are coarse grits for a reason. Tears and pulls need to be sanded
away before the finer stuff comes out. A couple of minutes with 80 grit
beats 10 minutes and 2 disks of 180.

3) Slow down the lathe and the sander to let the grit work. There are sides
as well as tips to the grain. Fast paper does not let anything but the tip
touch and the cut is shallow and slow. Slower paper cuts faster and better.
Ever wonder why an 80 grit belt leaves such a good surface from the belt
sander? It moves fast and the sides of the 80 do not get much chance to cut.

4) You can clean sandpaper but not sharpen it. Use a crepe block to clean
sanpaper if using dry wood, use a brass brush for wet wood. Dull paper goes
in the garbage can.

5) Finish with one grit before going to the next. If 80 grit did not remove
the tear, what makes you think 120 will do a great job? However, 320 will
really show up a left over 80 grit scratch.

6) Scratch show up? Go down a grit of two and get rid of it. See number 5.

7) When the surface is good for that piece and that wood, stop. An open
grain like ash may need less sanding, say to 400, than a closed grain like
maple which may call for 2000. Some styles of piece may call for higher
grits as may some finishes. Going to paint? Why go higher than 240 or maybe
even 180? Going to stain? More than 180 and it will not stain well, dye on
the other hand will work to 2000 or higher but may raise the grain so why
bother until after the dye job?

8) Hand sand where necessary. There is no shame involved. In fact it will
raise less dust, be quieter and do just as nice a job.

9) Get a finish on quickly after sanding before something happens to set
back all your hard work.

10) Take time to enjoy the surface as it sets up under the paper. This is
beautiful stuff being revealed. Enjoy the wood.

11) Maybe it should be the first. WEAR A GOOD DUST MASK!!!!! Keep a set of
lungs do you get to enjoy the next piece or two. I like a two cartridge
system but even those paper things are better than nothing. Look for ANSI or
NIOSH safety ratings when buying.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Sanding questions. sandman Woodworking 8 December 16th 04 03:56 AM
Sanding -- why do they do that to me? :-) Carlos Moreno Woodworking 5 December 6th 04 09:51 PM
sanding your turnings william kossack Woodturning 7 October 19th 04 02:47 PM
sanding supplies eterna Woodworking 0 January 7th 04 10:12 AM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 12:30 AM