ladderlogicman

Default Alternative to Anchorseal?

Is there a cheap alternative to Anchorseal?

I have tried using old leftover latex paint.
Sometimes it works -- sometimes not.

Does anyone have a homemade or cheap store bought alternative to Anchorseal?

Ladderlogicman
Chattanooga, TN

mac davis

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:35:11 -0600, "ladderlogicman"
wrote:

Is there a cheap alternative to Anchorseal?

I have tried using old leftover latex paint.
Sometimes it works -- sometimes not.

Does anyone have a homemade or cheap store bought alternative to Anchorseal?

Ladderlogicman
Chattanooga, TN

melted wax??? lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

"ladderlogicman" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a cheap alternative to Anchorseal?

I have tried using old leftover latex paint.
Sometimes it works -- sometimes not.

Does anyone have a homemade or cheap store bought alternative to

Anchorseal?

What for? If you're trying to maintain wood in large chunks, tough to beat
it, and even tougher to get consistent results unless you trim areas which
will stress the block in drying.

Newsprint or a paper bag, if you're talking a rough bowl. Objective there
is to control the drying of the outside while interior is still feeding
moisture. Tenting in newsprint or bagging _after_ as much water as can be
thrown by the lathe has disappeared from the surface is a good method.

PVA glue brushed on ends of a rough spindle candidate, though there the
price nod probably goes to the wax. A little bit goes a long way when you
turn box or goblet blanks and such. If you have no spouse and a blender,
you can try some on your own with a low-sudsing surfactant and wax blended
to a fair-thee-well with water to suspend it.

Bill Rubenstein

Our local club (Woodturners of St. Louis) buys 55 gal drums. We have a pump in the drum, you
bring your own jugs and the cost is around $5.00 or $6.00/gal bought that way, including
truck shipping. Certainly somebody in your group has a business with a loading dock and the
place to store it.

BTW, get it with antifreeze unless you are somewhere south.

Bill

In article , george@least says...

[...]

Leif Thorvaldson

Another possible way to skip it entirely is if you get your turning wood in
logs 4' or longer is just store them on saw horses (off the ground, anyway),
and then let the ends split. When you want a piece to turn, whack off the
split end, cut your desired piece off the log and then go turn it. Of
course you might still need to dry it using old, expensive methods if you
aren't using LDD. *G*

Leif