billh

Default Bealle Finishing system

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Just ordered one from Lee Valley

Any Comments

Keith

Excuse my spelling if its spelled wrong.

First comment would be why didn't you ask before you ordered it.
Fortunately, the Beal system is very good and is used by many turners.
Billh

George

"Keith Young" wrote in message
What would be your second comment Billh

Keith

For example I was told even through the final product looks excellent ,

the
finish is not durable.

Comment

The "system" is a series of buffs and compounds. The finish is whatever you
apply, and is as durable as if it were unbuffed.

billh

I'll follow up a bit on what George said. The Beal system is a buffing
system that will smooth the surface of the finish you applied previously.
The only finish my Beal system provides is via a stick of carnuba wax which
is a hard wax but nontheless, a wax. The Beal system isn't a substitute for
a smooth initial surface before the finishing is applied and a well applied
finish. You can only do so much smoothing with the compounds so get it right
before you buff.
A finish must be even in appearance and sometimes that is difficult if the
wood has strange grain or punky spots. If I have what I think might be
problematic piece I will apply the finish and let it sit for a period of
weeks or longer to make sure it still looks even before I give it the Beal
treatment. I don't know if others do this. I have found myself applying
another coat or two on some pieces. I tend to use LV Polymerized Tung Oil as
a finish.
Billh

"Keith Young" wrote in message
What would be your second comment Billh

Keith

For example I was told even through the final product looks excellent ,
the finish is not durable.

Comment

"billh" wrote in message
. ..

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Just ordered one from Lee Valley

Any Comments

Keith

Excuse my spelling if its spelled wrong.

First comment would be why didn't you ask before you ordered it.
Fortunately, the Beal system is very good and is used by many turners.
Billh

Lyn J. Mangiameli

Keith,
I wrote a comprehensive article on selecting and using a power buffing
system (including the Beall) for More Woodturning. It also discusses
some views on alternate practices. You can obtain it as a pdf he

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

Lyn

Keith Young wrote:
Just ordered one from Lee Valley

Any Comments

Keith

Excuse my spelling if its spelled wrong.

Chuck

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:29:28 -0800, "Keith Young"
wrote:

Just ordered one from Lee Valley

Any Comments

I love mine. My work has never looked better. It produces a very
nice, long-lasting, durable luster. Carnauba wax is very hard and
durable and, after handling, the original gloss comes right back with
a quick buff with a cotton cloth. I'm fond of worn-out flannel sheets
for buffing with, myself.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

DRO System Mill/Drill Kenneth A. Emmert Metalworking 11 December 3rd 04 05:28 AM
Package vs. Split System A/C in Manufactured Home Bishoop Home Ownership 1 October 14th 04 04:39 AM
High Velocity (i.e. Unico) vs. Conventional system [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 3rd 04 06:18 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM