George

Default CA Question

"Keith Young" wrote in message
After filling cracks with Ca, the surrounding wood becomes saturated also.
Anybody have a solution. Maybe coating the area around the crack with
something that can be easily be removed later.

Of course, the best thing to do is to run CA into the crack before you take
the final passes with gouge or paper. The capillary draw into the crack
will be much greater than the draw into the grain of the wood, especially if
the wood is cool. You can also help your cause by spritzing the accelerator
on the area prior to using the CA. More rapid cure will keep the
penetration low on the surface, while still allowing good capillary draw.
It also helps to spritz the opposite side so you won't have problems with
leakage when you start spinning again.

william_b_noble

see tips sectoin of www.woodturners.org, look for CA finish

"Jgklr2732" wrote in message
Coat the area surrounding the crack with sanding sealer before applying

CA.
Than sand it away so the finish won't blotch.

Ken Grunke

Anonymous wrote:
How can I extend (not shorten) the set time for CA? I am using it to
repair cracks in cross-sawn cherry and to stabilize the un-cracked
portions as well.

It occurs to me that if I could get it to stay liquid longer, I'd get
better penetration and that could be (as my friend Martha used to
say) "a good thing".

Bill

To get better penetration, use a thinner CA--they come in different
consistencies.

You should read what Russ Fairfield has to say about CA:

http://www.woodcentral.com./russ/russ6.shtml

I've decided that CA is not a good thing to use for projects I place any
value on and want to last a long time without falling apart.

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl