Gregg

Default Want to get into pen making?

Hello all

I want to get into Pen making and I dont have tons of money to buy the best
equipment, so what is a good inexpensive lathe to start with for pens? How
is the JET pen lathe JPL358?

--
Thanks,
Gregg

Gregg wrote:
Hello all

I want to get into Pen making and I dont have tons of money to buy

the best
equipment, so what is a good inexpensive lathe to start with for

pens? How
is the JET pen lathe JPL358?

--
Thanks,
Gregg

=====================================

Last time I looked, the Jet Pen Lathe was selling for about $139.00 and
a Jet Mini can be had for no more than $199.00 and as low as $159.00.
This, in MHO is a no brainer. I have used both and OWN the Jet Mini.
The ONLY thing you can do on the pen lathe and again in MHO Not AS WELL
as on the Jet Mini is turn pens.
The Other Bruce

Rick

Gregg wrote:
Hello all

I want to get into Pen making and I dont have tons of money to buy the best
equipment, so what is a good inexpensive lathe to start with for pens? How
is the JET pen lathe JPL358?

I have the Jet pen lathe. The tool rest is cheap and the weld can break
easy. The best bet is to go with a mini lathe. I also have a mini and
really like the way it works. I'd say go for the mini lathe. Even
though I am not happy with Jet's customer service at the moment, I still
bought the Jet mini lathe, it seems to be made strong and an extention
can be purchased later if the need arises to mak longer items.
Dr. Deb

Gregg wrote:

Hello all

I want to get into Pen making and I dont have tons of money to buy the
best equipment, so what is a good inexpensive lathe to start with for
pens? How is the JET pen lathe JPL358?

If you have a drill press, you might consider making it into a vertical
lathe (cost less than $10.00) and saving for a full size lathe.

Turning is addictive and you will eventually take the plunge.

Deb
Gregg

Do you have a model number on the lathe from harbor freight?

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.24.16.25.50.400193@notarealserver .com...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:39:27 -0600, Gregg wrote:

Hello all

I want to get into Pen making and I dont have tons of money to buy the
best equipment, so what is a good inexpensive lathe to start with for
pens? How is the JET pen lathe JPL358?

Grab the Harbor Freight lathe for about $180 (on sale). It is sturdily
built and, unless you stubbornly refuse the temptation to turn anything
larger than a pen or bottle stopper, will allow you to turn up to 12"
diameter. It's an ugly green but looking at my pens it's hard to tell
that I made them on an ugly lathe with cheap tools.

While you are there, grab their $40 lathe tool set and start off with a
good basic set of turning tools. I've since added a Sorby oval skew and a
couple home-made scrapers but that was after the lathe had already paid
for itself in pen sales.

If you do not have tools to cut and drill pen blanks there are suppliers
who will sell these to you until you do have the (time / tools ). The key
is to get started. If you have the time, you can both cut and drill the
blanks by hand, too using tools commonly found in even the simplest of
home shops for under $50 total. Again ... the pen can't count and doesn't
know you used cheap tools.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Jamrelliot

Went to a recent Jet overstock sale. The Jet pen lathe was $59 still in the
box.

Jim