Sanford Imhoff

Default FWIW:Jet Mini made in China

Hello all. I also placed an order for the Jet mini lathe when the price
dropped to $199 on Amazon. I had been to several retailers to look at the
Jet mini's and competitor's before making the purchase and like everyone
else was impressed with the Jet. While I didn't actually see a 6-speed Jet I
noticed the Jet VS was made in Taiwan and assumed the 6-speed was the same.

The Jet was delivered on Thursday evening. A couple of the plastic feet were
broken off which was not a big deal, and, after setting up the lathe and
starting to look it over I noticed it was made in China.

For what it's worth...the operation of the Jet mini is fine but the fit and
finish is not up to par with what I have seen n the floor model VS models
made in Taiwan. The quality of the paint job, in particular, in not up to
snuff, as well as course grind marks on the castings, finger prints from
handling when the paint must not have been dried, nicks and chips, etc. They
are not huge, glaring problems...it just looks more like a couple of guys
finished this thing off in a hurry in the back room as opposed to careful
quality control coming off a production line.

Again, the operation of the lathe is fine...the fit and finish just seems
off by about 10-15% compared to the VS models I have observed.

Is the shift from Taiwan new for the 6 speed model or has it been made in
China for some time?

Barry N. Turner

I got my Jet Mini for Christmas 2001. We paid the list price of $349.95. I
don't even know anyone who paid that much. That's always kind of "stuck in
my craw" as I consider myself to be a very careful shopper. All of a
sudden, I don't feel so bad anymore. Thanks, Sanford.

Barry

"Sanford Imhoff" wrote in message
[...]

Lyn J. Mangiameli

Yes,
Barry don't feel bad. I bought mine when they first turned white. Also
paid very near full list (I think 329). One of the best values of any
product I've obtained in woodturning, both for the satisfaction it has
afforded, as well as what it has offered for the price. Castings were a
bit rough where no machining was done, but nothing affecting
performance. Granted I also have larger lathes that are VS, but I still
use my Mini regularly and don't even have any desire to make it VS.

Lyn

Barry N. Turner wrote:
[...]

Just an FYI - Tha Island of Tiawan is not China, even though, China
wants them to be.

The Other Bruce

Ken Moon

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP .........
Again, the operation of the lathe is fine...the fit and finish just

seems
off by about 10-15% compared to the VS models I have observed.

Is the shift from Taiwan new for the 6 speed model or has it been

made in
China for some time?

Just an FYI - Tha Island of Tiawan is not China, even though, China
wants them to be.

The Other Bruce

==================================
Taiwan was part of China until the late 40's, when they declared they were
separate. China still claims they are a renegade province of China, and are
now considering making a law saying that. It would then justify attacking US
if they tried to protect Taiwan in case of a confrontation. Just another pot
waiting to boil over!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Thanks Ken for adding the Clomplet History of Taiwan. My reason for
even mentioning it is that the quality difference of items coming in
from the two sources is substantial in MHO.

The Other Bruce
Ken Moon wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP .........
[...]

Todd Fatheree

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just an FYI - Tha Island of Tiawan is not China, even though, China
wants them to be.

So, you're saying that Taiwan is not China? Of course it's China, just ask
the Taiwanese. It's called the "Republic of China". What it isn't is the
People's Republic of China. Not that I imagine any of this is a big news
flash to anyone.

todd