Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
WoodMangler

Default Bowl Turning DVD by Bill Grumbine

I received my copy of Bill's instructional DVD last week and thought I'd
pass along my impressions.

First, understand that I am a neophyte turner. I've been woodworking for
quite a few years, but never got around to turning until recently. I've
purchased Raffan's turning wood video from Taunton and have several
other woodworking videos from them as well.

Regarding turning, there are several things I didn't understand about
the process, especially having to do with the use of green wood and how
to get it successfully to a dry blank ready for finish turning.

Bill's video starts with him, chainsaw in hand, cutting a cherry log for
future life as a bowl. He explains not only how, but why he's cutting it
the way he is. He continues telling how and why throughout the video,
which is in my opinion far better than just telling how.
He proceeds to go through every step needed to turn that log into a
beautiful bowl.
He presents each new step with a good explanation of why he's doing it
as well as how he's doing it.
His use of the tools is somewhat different from Raffan's, but after
watching Bill, I can understand the difference and for the first time
understand Raffan's usage better as well.

I'll spare you the play by play and just say that the video really
filled in a lot of blanks (mental, not wood) for me. I wish I had
purchased this DVD to start with, I'd have saved some nice wood from the
horrible fate I subjected it to.

The production was pretty good too; better than I expected. Every
Taunton video I own has at least one section where the sound level drops
so low that you think the presenter is at the end of a long tunnel.
Bill's video had good sound quality throughout. There were a couple of
instances in which the camera operator moved the camera and bonked into
something, but aside from being slightly comical it didn't really
detract from the video.
Bill illustrates a couple of points on a white board by drawing. I felt
that a prepared graphic would have made better use of the time and
medium, but that's a minor point.

For the beginning bowl turner, this is definitely worth the asking
price. I would have saved more than the video price in butchered wood
had I gotten it sooner.

Great video Bill, thanks. And by the way, the bluegrass music you used
was great.