WoodMangler

Default Cheapest Place to buy Corks

Keith Young wrote:
Hi
I am turning wine bottle stoppers with corks that have a screw attached.
Anybody know of a reasonably priced supplier. Cheaper than Lee Valley.

Keith

http://www.homebrewheaven.com

They've got several different sizes/grades.

Denis Marier

I did not received all of posting of this thread.
However, I would like to throw my 2 cents in.
As shown at www.homebrewheaven.com there is size # 8 and 9 are available.
I use size # 9 premium quality. Check what size people are using in your
area.
Before you buy a large quantity and make them part of crafts reflecting your
skill get samples and test them. First, using a sharp tool cut the cock
from top to bottom making two halves. Then using a fine grit sand paper on
a belt on palm sander bring the flat side to a smooth finish. After that
you will be able to have a visual comparison. Solid pure corks are no
longer plentiful. Poor quality solid corks will break easily. What most
people are buying these day is composite cork. They are made with crushed
corks and binding agents. Some of them are very good others are not worth
buying.
A research into alternative material could reveal better material then
traditional cork.

"WoodMangler" wrote in message
Keith Young wrote:
Hi
I am turning wine bottle stoppers with corks that have a screw

attached.
Anybody know of a reasonably priced supplier. Cheaper than Lee Valley.

Keith

http://www.homebrewheaven.com

They've got several different sizes/grades.

Leo Van Der Loo

Keith, NOMA corks, they are a synthetic cork, google Noma cork and you
will find all kinds of sites who sell them, the problem with normal
corks (the synthetic or natural ) is that they are straight as opposed
to tapered, you'd have a hard time fitting them in the different size
bottle openings

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Keith Young wrote:
I,m curious as to what as to what would be considered an alternative
material. Styrofoam?

"Denis Marier" wrote in message

[...]

. ..

Keith Young wrote:

Hi
I am turning wine bottle stoppers with corks that have a screw

attached.

Anybody know of a reasonably priced supplier. Cheaper than Lee Valley.

Keith

http://www.homebrewheaven.com

They've got several different sizes/grades.

J. Clarke

Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Keith, NOMA corks, they are a synthetic cork, google Noma cork and you
will find all kinds of sites who sell them, the problem with normal
corks (the synthetic or natural ) is that they are straight as opposed
to tapered, you'd have a hard time fitting them in the different size
bottle openings

The brand name is "nomacorc" and they're not tapered.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

--
--John