Tony Manella

Default roughing gouge disclaimer in Craft supplies new catalog

Hi Group,
I just got Craft Supplies new catalog and noticed they have added a
disclaimer note for every roughing gouge they sell. The note states that
roughing gouges should not be used for bowls. Does any one know if this was
generated by a lawsuit or customer complaints? I know some here use
roughing gouges for bowls, what are your opinions of Craft Supplies new
policy.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

George

I say with the oncoming Veep, they're covering their six.

There used to be a saying that nothing is foolproof, because there's always
a bigger fool somewhere. If you misuse a tool, you can find yourself eating
it. If you don't understand the physics, you'd better be prepared for the
consequences.

My lawn mower had a disclaimer that it was not to be gripped, elevated, and
used as a hedge clipper. The manuals on new tools are about 50/50 warnings
and instruction lately.

"Tony Manella" ndd1 at prolog.net wrote in message
Hi Group,
I just got Craft Supplies new catalog and noticed they have added a
disclaimer note for every roughing gouge they sell. The note states that
roughing gouges should not be used for bowls. Does any one know if this

was
generated by a lawsuit or customer complaints? I know some here use
roughing gouges for bowls, what are your opinions of Craft Supplies new
policy.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

Leo Lichtman

"George" wrote: (clip) The manuals on new tools are about 50/50 warnings
and instruction lately.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My cable come-along came with a warning that it is not to be used for
lifting. Yeah, right!

Lobby Dosser

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"George" wrote: (clip) The manuals on new tools are about 50/50
warnings and instruction lately.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My cable come-along came with a warning that it is not to be used for
lifting. Yeah, right!

When food says 'not for human consumption', then you worry.
Harry B. Pye

When food says 'not for human consumption', then you worry.

I worry now when I read the contents from the label.

Frank McVey

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. net...

snip

Now, another idea about lining up all the lawyers against a wall -- that

one is for later.

I read something some ago which advocated rounding up all the good laywers
and placing them on ships in the North Sea.

Then you shoot every other lawyer left.

Then you sink the ships...

Just a thought,

Frank

---

Leo Lichtman

If there are any lawyers in this newsgroup, I am sure they are good lawyers,
and good people. Maybe we should consider their feelings.

Bill Rubenstein

Leo:

I thought of that. That is why I didn't complete the thought.

Bill

In article ,
says...
If there are any lawyers in this newsgroup, I am sure they are good lawyers,
and good people. Maybe we should consider their feelings.

Barry N. Turner

It may not be the lawyers so much as the people who hire
them...............Barry

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
If there are any lawyers in this newsgroup, I am sure they are good

lawyers,
and good people. Maybe we should consider their feelings.

mac davis

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:46:51 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

If there are any lawyers in this newsgroup, I am sure they are good lawyers,
and good people. Maybe we should consider their feelings.

Tell me about it....
My wife started law school in August... I have less than 4 years to
re-learn my feelings about attorneys...

Why don't sharks eat attorneys?
Professional courtesy...

Harry B. Pye

Frankly, I believe that we should not print warnings such as: "don't use
this hair drier in
the shower". Omitting warning about such potential hazards can accomplish

nothing but
improve the human gene pool --

Pennsylvania recently removed the requirement for motorcycle riders to wear
a helmet. Another step to improve the gene pool.

George

Should solve the shortage of donated organs if they handle it right.

In another month it'll be snowmobilers here. Boy versus birch is a clear
victory for birch, and a potential second chance for someone else.

"Harry B. Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
Frankly, I believe that we should not print warnings such as: "don't use

this hair drier in
the shower". Omitting warning about such potential hazards can

accomplish
nothing but
improve the human gene pool --

Pennsylvania recently removed the requirement for motorcycle riders to

wear
a helmet. Another step to improve the gene pool.

Derek Andrews

Barry N. Turner wrote:
It may not be the lawyers so much as the people who hire
them...............Barry

Or maybe society in general for allowing the legal system get so far
removed from common sense and justice.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Jgklr2732

Well, to be serious for a moment, the pros advise against using a roughing
gouge for bowls.That's what bowl gouges are for. The roughing gouge has an
aggressive business end and a small tang that can bend or even break. Craft
Supplies probably hired a lawyer who found that out and sought to avoid a
potential law suit. Also, it's not bad advice.
Then there are 99 percent of lawyers who give the rest a bad reputation!
Joe Keeler

Al Kyder

Bill Rubenstein wrote in message .net...

Frankly, I believe that we should not print warnings such as: "don't use this hair drier in
the shower". Omitting warning about such potential hazards can accomplish nothing but
improve the human gene pool --
Bill

Mr. Rubenstein,
I attempted to turn my Stubby into a mechanical bull by mounting a
severely out of balance piece of wood and a saddle between centers. It
seemed like a good idea. I put some old pillows on the floor,drank a
sixer of the cheapest beer they had at the Kwik-Chek and put on my ten
gallon hat. Due to the absence of a speed indicator on the lathe I
must have chosen a very high speed and was quickly thrown from the
beast. I'm sure I will never walk the same again.

What do you and Omega Tools intend to do to remedy this situation? Be
aware I have studied a little law. Alex Lifeson would still be
incarcerated were it not for my efforts. I'm a genius.

God Bless,
Al Kyder

Mike Paulson

The roughing gouge has an aggressive business end and
a small tang that can bend or even break

I notice Lee Valley now has a roughing gouge with a heavy duty round tang.
It looks like a beauty.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co
Arch

Likely there's no one answer when Dale Nish and many here find little
use for a roughing gouge, while Soren Berger and a lot of us find
several uses for the tool.

BTW, is it still a skew when the edge is not askew?

My bi-bevelled skews and parting tools often have sharper edges than my
gouges and bedans because two bevels are ground or honed. It's difficult
for me not to round over the edge on the flat side opposite the bevel of
a gouge.

Turn to Safety, Arch

Fortiter,

George

Doesn't matter what size the tang as long as you keep leverage on your side
of the rest.

It's the small percentage of turners who muck things up by not thinking who
make the loudest noise.

"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
The roughing gouge has an aggressive business end and
a small tang that can bend or even break

I notice Lee Valley now has a roughing gouge with a heavy duty round tang.
It looks like a beauty.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Chuck

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:35:53 +0100, "Frank McVey"
wrote:

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
.net...

snip

Now, another idea about lining up all the lawyers against a wall -- that

one is for later.

I read something some ago which advocated rounding up all the good laywers
and placing them on ships in the North Sea.

"...ships...?" I think a couple of kayaks would probably do the
trick.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Bill Rubenstein

I think that Missouri has done the same thing. Some people don't want anybody to tell them
what or what not to do regardless of the how stupid the thing they want to do is. I have no
problem with helmet-less motorcycle riders as long as I don't end up paying to keep them in a
vegetative state for years and years after they have a brush with a truck or concrete. Maybe
the law should be that if they don't wear a helmet they must drive at least 60 mph. That way
their chance of survival would be almost nill. If you use a roughing gouge on a bowl you
must turn at 3000 rpm or higher.

I have a friend who owns a bunch of cars including a mid-70s Porsche 911. He loves driving
fast -- I remember slowing down to 125 to pass a car on a county road. He sold his
motorcycle after one too many scares.

Bill

In article ps.com,
says...
Frankly, I believe that we should not print warnings such as: "don't use

this hair drier in
the shower". Omitting warning about such potential hazards can accomplish

nothing but
improve the human gene pool --

Pennsylvania recently removed the requirement for motorcycle riders to wear
a helmet. Another step to improve the gene pool.

Mike Patterson

Helmet and seat belt laws aren't for the safety of the suicidally
"free", they're for the safety of other people who are on the same
piece of concrete with them.

A helmet-less motorcyclist who hits a bird or even a large bug at
60-80 MPH becomes a missile on the same road with my wife and kids.

Ditto seat belts, a pickup with bench seats and no seat belt becomes a
2-4,000 pound unguided missile in the event of a panic lane change or
bad blowout because the driver may inadvertently move into the
"passenger" category rather abruptly.

This is first-hand experience talking. I was lucky and didn't kill
myself or anyone else.

Mike

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:12:25 GMT, Bill Rubenstein
wrote:

[...]

Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Harry B. Pye

Likely there's no one answer when Dale Nish and many here find little
use for a roughing gouge, while Soren Berger and a lot of us find
several uses for the tool.

Arch, I love my roughing gouge. A couple quick passes with the Wolverine jig
and it is ready. I've been turning a lot of pens for the Freedom Pen Project
and the roughing gouge gets the pen blanks 'in the ball park' really
quickly. And rolled over and with the handle pushed to one side it cuts
almost as smoothly as the skew.

My bi-bevelled skews and parting tools often have sharper edges than my
gouges and bedans because two bevels are ground or honed. It's difficult
for me not to round over the edge on the flat side opposite the bevel of
a gouge.

My skews are probably sharper too. I usually do them by hand. I have the
Oneway skew attachment for my Wolverine system but have better results
cleaning up the edges of my skew by hand on a stone. I take my gouge from
the wheel to the lathe. It doesn't pay to 'over think' some of these things!

Harry

Bill Rubenstein

We are way O T here and it is my fault, I think. But...

My idea to clean up politics...

You are disqualified from being in politics if...

1) you are a lawyer

2) you are not neutered

Bill

....snip
Let's have a law that no judge can now
be, or ever have been a lawyer or ever taken any law courses.

....snip