Bruce

Default Junniper

"Keith Young" wrote in message ...
Hi

I have a quantity of Juniper. Its dryed out and badly cracked on the
surface. Tryed turning a vase with it but hated the plywood look. I have
seen some marvelous turning with this wood, but the grain that i get from
end turning is not very attractive.

Any suggestions
Keith

Mornin" Keith:

I do turnings out of Honey Locust and Hackberry. Both of these woods
have a pretty straight grain. To add to the visual effect, I cut
pieces diagonally across the grain and get some interesting looks.
Another way is to slightly set the tailstock off center before truing
up your cylinder. This will give you more figuring along the sides.

Good Luck,
The Other Bruce

Bruce

"Keith Young" wrote in message ...
Thanks Bruce

So experiment and turn the end grain at a 45 degree angle
.
Thanks
Keith
"Bruce" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi

I have a quantity of Juniper. Its dryed out and badly cracked on the
surface. Tryed turning a vase with it but hated the plywood look. I have
seen some marvelous turning with this wood, but the grain that i get from
end turning is not very attractive.

Any suggestions
Keith

Mornin" Keith:

I do turnings out of Honey Locust and Hackberry. Both of these woods
have a pretty straight grain. To add to the visual effect, I cut
pieces diagonally across the grain and get some interesting looks.
Another way is to slightly set the tailstock off center before truing
up your cylinder. This will give you more figuring along the sides.

Good Luck,
The Other Bruce

Evenin' Keith:

The angle doesn't have to be as much as 45 degrees. Sometimes 10 - 25
degrees brings some interesting results.

Bruce
moyo

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:05:24 -0230, "Keith Young"
wrote:

Hi

I have a quantity of Juniper. Its dryed out and badly cracked on the
surface. Tryed turning a vase with it but hated the plywood look. I have
seen some marvelous turning with this wood, but the grain that i get from
end turning is not very attractive.

Any suggestions
Keith

I turned some wet and then nuked it in the microwave. It warped but
after a polishing with the beall system it looked great. Kinda almost
sorta a alabaster slash ivory slash whatever look...

eric