Arch

Default Critique of Pure Woodturning. (musing during the long power outage)

There is a sort of spectrum of works that are revolved while being
formed by a moving tool.

At one end is the machined hard metal workpiece revolved on an engine
lathe. The tools are ridigely held and moved mechanically to precisely
remove metal.

In the vast middle that we woodturners occupy, the wood blank is
revolved on a less complicated lathe. The softer work is formed by
tools held in the hand and wielded freely.

At the spectrum's other end is the clay pot revolved on a simple wheel.
The tools are most often hands and fingers that punch, shape, fold and
add or subtract the plastic medium.

Some reactionaries might wish for a clear digital distinction of our way
of doing things as woodturners and not as machinists or potters, but
it's an analog world. Woodturning grades into machining with metal
spinning, copy lathes, laser guides, captured tools, indexing, etc. We
emulate potters by steam bending, shaping thin green blanks, carving,
routing and forming surfaces by pulling, off the rest, long bevelled
gouges that sport named grinds.

So what? Well for starters many wood artists who stray across the above
spectrum and far beyond, have advanced the wood bowl into a wonderful
new and different art form from its limits as a container. Most often
these lovely works are not recognizable as bowls and so are misnamed.

I suggest that for now these beautiful thought and emotion provoking
pieces that can't hold water be referred to as 'bowles'.
I defer to Leif and other wordsmiths, but I don't believe 'bowle' is a
word in use. As with home subdivisions such as 'Bay Pointe' and the
like, the 'e' might add a bit of distinction and tone... or could it be
two pounds in a one pound bag?

As always, debate is encouraged. Arch

(Many thanks for your concern re the hurricanes. As with turning wood,
our house fared better than many and worse than some). A.

Fortiter,

Maxprop

"Arch" wrote in message

(Many thanks for your concern re the hurricanes. As with turning wood,
our house fared better than many and worse than some). A.

Welcome back, Arch. Our concern, while apparently unfounded, was genuine.

Max

Harry B. Pye

(Many thanks for your concern re the hurricanes. As with turning wood,
our house fared better than many and worse than some). A.

Things can be replaced, people cannot. Glad you are OK!

Harry

mac davis

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:33:56 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

I think you need a generator for your lathe, Arch... *g*

[...]

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer
replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer
99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears

Leo Van Der Loo

Hello Arch, you had me worried there you know, but now welkom back.

Well the metal and the wood and the mud gets shaped with a tool and I
think some persons are able to make useful or useless(emty?) things
regardless of the mode or model, ( beautiful, emotion provoking ?),
sounds like a woman
And there also: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
What to name them, why not undifineables or is that to undistinctiable ?
Than exbowle or unbowle will not make the cut either im afraid.
The ball is back in your court again I'm afraid

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:

There is a sort of spectrum of works that are revolved while being
formed by a moving tool.

/snipetty snip/

So what? Well for starters many wood artists who stray across the above
spectrum and far beyond, have advanced the wood bowl into a wonderful
new and different art form from its limits as a container. Most often
these lovely works are not recognizable as bowls and so are misnamed.

I suggest that for now these beautiful thought and emotion provoking
pieces that can't hold water be referred to as 'bowles'.
I defer to Leif and other wordsmiths, but I don't believe 'bowle' is a
word in use. As with home subdivisions such as 'Bay Pointe' and the
like, the 'e' might add a bit of distinction and tone... or could it be
two pounds in a one pound bag?

As always, debate is encouraged. Arch

(Many thanks for your concern re the hurricanes. As with turning wood,
our house fared better than many and worse than some). A.

Fortiter,

Pascal Oudet

Arch, interesting musing as usual, I'm glad you're back.
Pascal

Mike Paulson

if it holds water it's a bowl, otherwise it's art

A gallery owner once told me about a tourist who came into her shop,
picked up one of my vessels, and exclaimed, "Hey, this thing's got holes
in it. What do you do with it?" She said, "It's art; you look at it!"

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Power tools in Europe (long) Christian Aufreiter Woodworking 23 October 17th 03 10:44 AM
Power outage question WbSearch Electronics Repair 5 August 16th 03 11:41 PM