joaz

Default Kelton Hollower Dig In

Hi all,I haven't posted here in a while, but I know this is where I
can get this question answered.
I use the Kelton Hollower and love it. I have made some modifications.
I had the bushings bored out to take the 3\4" bar from my Jamison unit
as the small Kelton I have would only take a 5/8 bar. This really adds
a lot of strenth to the system. I also use the teardop scraper from
the Jamison and it works great for all I do.
However, when I get to the last inch or so in the bottom of a hollow
form, I get a dig in. I keep the cutter slightly below center and
angled aroung 5 to 10 degrees.
The other day I used the cutter on an open face natural faced vessel.
I watched to see what happen's at the bottom. I got a dig. WHY?
Should I raise the cutter? Change the angle?

Heeeeelp.......

I have just posted new work on my web site...take a look.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

http://www.maine-web.com/woodturning
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Joaz

You can see and understand what happens if you would draw a circle, then
draw a line horizontally at center, and now mark a point just above the
center line and against the circle, think as this is the point of
cutting, now if you get a slight pull on your tool that point will go
down vertically, and if you would now draw that point of cutting just
below the one you made earlier you will see that it is away from the
circle, now do the same circle and line and now draw that point (the
point of cutting) just below the horizontal line and against the circle
, now if you would get a slight pull on your cutting or scraping tool
it would go down vertically and if you would now draw that point of
cutting vertically below the last one you will see that now you are into
the catch or dig mode, you are in the wood and going deeper.
So the rule is: for inside cutting or scraping, tool at or above center
: for outside cutting or scraping, tool at or below center
Hope this is some help

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

joaz wrote:
[...]

Maxprop

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

So the rule is: for inside cutting or scraping, tool at or above center
: for outside cutting or scraping, tool at or below center
Hope this is some help

In all my references I haven't seen this presented so succinctly. Thanks,
Leo.

Max

joaz

"Maxprop" wrote in message link.net...
"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

So the rule is: for inside cutting or scraping, tool at or above center
: for outside cutting or scraping, tool at or below center
Hope this is some help

In all my references I haven't seen this presented so succinctly. Thanks,
Leo.

Max

I agree, Thanks very much. I have tried your method and it works great.

Joaz
http://www.maine-web.com/woodturning