Derek Hartzell

Default Interesting Bowls

Anyone seen this site http://www.woodstuff.net/August03/MoreBowls.html and
know how these might be made?

Derek

Ken Moon

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
Anyone seen this site http://www.woodstuff.net/August03/MoreBowls.html and
know how these might be made?
Derek

==========================
Derek,
The upper bowls are pretty forward segmented turning construction. The inlay
portions are done (probably) with an inlay router set, cutting matching
openings and fillers with a matched set of templates. A second way is using
a scroll saw, cutting contrasting stacked material to get the matching
inlays.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

GALBAN

Ken:

According to the artist, she doesn't use a lathe (see About the Artist) on the
website.
(see below). However she does it, it's beautiful work!

Wood Stuff was created in 1993. I began playing around with power tools in my
garage, making small boxes, etc. Then I
decided to try a bowl. Since I didn't have a lathe, I had to improvise with a
bandsaw. It took nearly a year to perfect my method and since then I have been
improving and expanding my designs. I use basic geometry (Thank you Mr.
Garner-Thomasville
High School) and each bowl is created from scratch without forms, jigs or
patterns.