Ace

Default Grizzly model G5979 opinion please.

I have never had any experience using a lathe before. Bowl making fascinates
me and I would like to try it. I am considering starting out with the
Grizzly G5979 lathe and wood like your opinions of it.
Thanks for your help.

bkbob

Ace wrote:
I have never had any experience using a lathe before. Bowl making fascinates
me and I would like to try it. I am considering starting out with the
Grizzly G5979 lathe and wood like your opinions of it.
Thanks for your help.

I reccommend taking a class at one of the big woodworking stores. My
Sister took a 2 day class at woodcraft for $150 to see if she liked it..
then she spent close to $1000 getting herself set-up.

She bought a $300 lathe from Grizzly.. I helped set-up .. seems to be
built pretty well for the $ (and heavy)
rest she spent on turning tools and a sharpening setup (evidently
keeping tool sharp all the time is important)

Denis Marier

The Grizzly G5979 is made in Taiwan and sold under a variety of branded
names.
In Canada Busybeestools are selling the same lathe with their name on. The
Grizzly G5979 comes with a 1/2 HP motor. The one I have is equipped with a
3/4 HP motor and a 40" bed. It costs a little more but is well worth it.
My opinions a Take courses, have a good mentor, try working on different
lathes then buy the one you're most comfortable with.
As for the Grizzly G5979 I find it to be a good lathe to learn bowl making
and suggest your get the 3/4 HP motor instead of the 1/2 HP
The drive belt that comes with this lathe is made in Taiwan and will wear
out quickly. It should be replace with a US made belt like Gates or its
equivalent. The locking devices for the Headstock, Tool rest and the tail
stock will have to be well deburred to provide positive locking. The
tailstock center should be replaced with one of better quality.
In conclusion this is a fair entry level lathe for the money.
Good luck