Ingram

Default newbie question:Indexing?

I've done some minor work on a lathe for a year now, and I'm wondering what
this indexing knob on the headstock can be used for...supposed to be for
fluting and reeding, but it seems to only lock the lathe preventing it from
turning.

Barry N. Turner

The indexing knob is used to hold work on a lathe stationary while you cut a
flute or a reed with a router setup. There are usually 24 or more equally
spaced index settings. After one flute or reed is cut, the work on the
lathe is rotated to the next desired position. The indexing knob can also
lock the lathe spindle while you install or remove a chuck.

Barry

"Ingram" wrote in message
I've done some minor work on a lathe for a year now, and I'm wondering

what
this indexing knob on the headstock can be used for...supposed to be for
fluting and reeding, but it seems to only lock the lathe preventing it

from
turning.

George

For marking or making anything you want evenly distributed around the
turning.

I use mine for three-legged stands. Making the dovetails for the legs is
easy with a jig for the router.

"Ingram" wrote in message
I've done some minor work on a lathe for a year now, and I'm wondering

what
this indexing knob on the headstock can be used for...supposed to be for
fluting and reeding, but it seems to only lock the lathe preventing it

from
turning.

Derek Andrews

Ingram wrote:

I've done some minor work on a lathe for a year now, and I'm wondering what
this indexing knob on the headstock can be used for...supposed to be for
fluting and reeding, but it seems to only lock the lathe preventing it from
turning.

I would just add that there is probably a hole or viewing window in the
headstock through which you can see a number which represents the index
position you are locked on to.

What type of lathe do you have?

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning