Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default do not see this often

From what I see, the 'blond' ones are ash or maple. And are bought.
The dark ones are very likely home made out of walnut. The handles are
long for control and the sharp ends might be just ground down over
several generations.

If I could only see my Great Uncle's set - he likely made his from
buying the steel parts made or bough. Made by a blacksmith or machine,
back East.

Martin

On 7/17/2016 4:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

while wandering the www i do not see this very often

that is turning tools that show their age by their length up for sale

http://images.craigslist.org/00U0U_p...uT_600x450.jpg

also wonder if the handles started off as a light colored wood

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-07-20 20:23:29 +0000, Martin Eastburn said:

From what I see, the 'blond' ones are ash or maple. And are bought.
The dark ones are very likely home made out of walnut. The handles are
long for control and the sharp ends might be just ground down over
several generations.

Yup, probably walnut

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 15:23:29 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

From what I see, the 'blond' ones are ash or maple. And are bought.
The dark ones are very likely home made out of walnut. The handles

they have a custom made look but i am no expert on vintage lathe tools

are long for control and the sharp ends might be just ground down
over several generations.

yes that was the point i was making
that i do not often see lathe tools up for sale that have seen so much
use shown by their short length

If I could only see my Great Uncle's set - he likely made his from
buying the steel parts made or bough. Made by a blacksmith or
machine, back East.

wonder what a smith would charge now to make a custom set

just the cutting part not the handle of course