Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default do not see this often

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 15:23:29 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

From what I see, the 'blond' ones are ash or maple. And are bought.
The dark ones are very likely home made out of walnut. The handles

they have a custom made look but i am no expert on vintage lathe tools

are long for control and the sharp ends might be just ground down
over several generations.

yes that was the point i was making
that i do not often see lathe tools up for sale that have seen so much
use shown by their short length

If I could only see my Great Uncle's set - he likely made his from
buying the steel parts made or bough. Made by a blacksmith or
machine, back East.

wonder what a smith would charge now to make a custom set

just the cutting part not the handle of course