Default Anyone here using a stebcentre?

just curious how you like them. seems like an interesting drive center.

best
M.

Jim M

It's a great center. I have the small and large centers.

wrote in message
link.net...
just curious how you like them. seems like an interesting drive center.

best
M.

AHilton

I have the small one. Love it. Makes quick-on's and quick-off's much less
exciting than with a regular spur center. I use it for my production items
(mainly spindle work of course) and it's quite nice. Kind of a pain to dig
out embedded gunk from so many teeth though. Doesn't happen often depending
on what you turn.

- Andrew

wrote in message
link.net...
just curious how you like them. seems like an interesting drive center.

best
M.

Lyn J. Mangiameli

I have both the small and large ones from before Sorby became involved.
I like both for traditional spindle work, and use them for this purpose
almost exclusively. They don't split wood, allow a lot of control of
drive/slippage and make it convenient to dismount and remount blanks.
About the only disadvantage is if a lot of slippage occurs, the multiple
teeth can bore a ring into the end not unlike the rim of a Forstner bit
(if not too deep, this can actually increase holding power, though).

They are not a good choice for roughing out most large bowl or hollow
form blanks as they don't allow pivoting of the blank to adjust for
figure, nor do they have the gripping force to deal with large out of
balance blanks. For that you are best to use a BestWoodTools 2 prong
Texas drive center.

Lyn

wrote:
just curious how you like them. seems like an interesting drive center.

best
M.

Arch

Hi M.
I think you got it right. It's an "interesting drive center". It's been
proven not to be a gimmick and for some it's a 'must have', but it's not
a 'need to have'. Perhaps if you can't spare the time or just don't want
to stop your spindle it is a help. For the more expert or professional
in a hurry, the standard spur with a slightly longer center pin might be
more useful overall. For the beginner, a dead center might be better.

I'm not using one as you asked, but I wouldn't object. It's not a new
concept, spring loaded spindles were used in cotton mills. I have an old
half point spring loaded tail center and I once made an abortive
stebcenter from a hardened self drilling insert for threading bolts into
concrete (can't recall what they are called). I should have followed
thru.

Just my opinion, but I suggest that those who aren't tool junkies or who
limit what they wish to spend on tools, will probably be much better off
buying an upgraded tail center or a higher quality gouge. IOW, a
stebcenter isn't high on my list. Arch

Fortiter,