Arch

Default Anyone here using a stebcentre?

Hi M.
I think you got it right. It's an "interesting drive center". It's been
proven not to be a gimmick and for some it's a 'must have', but it's not
a 'need to have'. Perhaps if you can't spare the time or just don't want
to stop your spindle it is a help. For the more expert or professional
in a hurry, the standard spur with a slightly longer center pin might be
more useful overall. For the beginner, a dead center might be better.

I'm not using one as you asked, but I wouldn't object. It's not a new
concept, spring loaded spindles were used in cotton mills. I have an old
half point spring loaded tail center and I once made an abortive
stebcenter from a hardened self drilling insert for threading bolts into
concrete (can't recall what they are called). I should have followed
thru.

Just my opinion, but I suggest that those who aren't tool junkies or who
limit what they wish to spend on tools, will probably be much better off
buying an upgraded tail center or a higher quality gouge. IOW, a
stebcenter isn't high on my list. Arch

Fortiter,