Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Arch

Default Musing about critiques

For woodturners the current buzz-word is "critique". The latest in a
decade's sequence of 'golden ratios' - '5K grit' -'fair-curve's -
'thin' - 'hollow' - 'gossamer' - 'carved' - 'fenistrated' -
'tortured' and recently - 'art'. Turners are competing to be the next
'mea culpa' masochist, and are standing in line to gratefully endure
the criticism of any lout with a keyboard and a copy of 'Art Today- The
meaning of Life' and all that. I suppose that a truly useful critique
is essentially a list of likes and/or dislikes of a piece by someone who
has successfully played the game, and I guess these have rescued some
from a life of tacky to one of wallowing in a field of dreams. Trouble
is that old canard "eye of the beholder" keeps raising its ugly head.
Not all bad tho; it assures diversity and a personal approach to our
art and helps to avoid the 'funnel' effect of striving for someone
else's 'way'. It sure allays much of our feelings of guilt and failure.

Fortunately we aspirant artist-turners have free access to the ultimate
forum for critique/criticism; the general public. Over a period of time
they will keep us well informed. With VBG's and firm TIC, Arch

Fortiter,