Lobby Dosser

Default Musing about critiques

(Arch) wrote in
:

For woodturners the current buzz-word is "critique". The latest in a
decade's sequence of 'golden ratios' - '5K grit' -'fair-curve's -
'thin' - 'hollow' - 'gossamer' - 'carved' - 'fenistrated' -
'tortured' and recently - 'art'. Turners are competing to be the
next 'mea culpa' masochist, and are standing in line to gratefully
endure the criticism of any lout with a keyboard and a copy of 'Art
Today- The meaning of Life' and all that. I suppose that a truly
useful critique is essentially a list of likes and/or dislikes of a
piece by someone who has successfully played the game, and I guess
these have rescued some from a life of tacky to one of wallowing in a
field of dreams. Trouble is that old canard "eye of the beholder"
keeps raising its ugly head. Not all bad tho; it assures diversity
and a personal approach to our art and helps to avoid the 'funnel'
effect of striving for someone else's 'way'. It sure allays much of
our feelings of guilt and failure.

Fortunately we aspirant artist-turners have free access to the
ultimate forum for critique/criticism; the general public. Over a
period of time they will keep us well informed. With VBG's and firm
TIC, Arch

Fortiter,

If there's room for Velvet Elvis, there's room for anything.