Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Darren

Default Max weight of a bowl?

I have some thick pieces of walnut that I have glued up to make a large
salad type bowl. It will be about 14-15" when I am done. This thing is
heavy. To reduce the weight I cut the corners off with a bandsaw and also
cut the inside out of the top rings. This helped but it is still fairly
heavy (guessing 15+ lbs). I have turned a lot of things but have only
turned small bowls up to this point (6" or so), so this is quite a step up
for me.

Couple questions:
* How much weight is too much weight? I will be using a Jet 1442 lathe (1
hp).
* How do you mount it best? Is just a face plate ok? I can't put it
between spindles because it is too big, so I will be turning the head stock
out away from the bed. My thought was to glue a 3/4+ plywood spacer onto
the bottom and then use 1 1/2" screws so that it goes through the face
plate, plywood and into the walnut a little (~1/2"). How big of face plate
should I use? I only have a 4" one now - even if I put 8 screws into it, I
think that might be not be big enough.

Any other thoughts \ advice?

Thanks
Darren

Nut bowl ideas... Silvan Woodworking 12 December 23rd 03 09:17 AM
Best Way To Remove Bowl???? Go NY Giants They Stink, Go Anyway!! Woodturning 16 November 15th 03 11:52 AM
Bridgeport base casting weight? George Willer Metalworking 1 August 26th 03 02:59 AM
Bowl Turning Tear-out Problem ? ? ? Barry N. Turner Woodturning 11 July 24th 03 09:42 PM