Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
George

Default As long as Arch is Elsewhere

Noticed Arch asking a question on one of the pay-to-play sites, don't know
if he still reads here. If so, Lyn had some remarks (surprise!) on a
random-orbit experiment which should turn up in a "sanding" search. Think
it was one of those European models like Festool with the big price tags he
commented on.

Then saw a "Norm" thread.

There, in a conflict-free forum, is the old "use the tool properly"
statement. One participant even intimated that a turner couldn't develop
properly without restricting tool use to what was proper. Hit me especially
because I had just had Susan Who Must Be Obeyed take some dynamic pictures
for my personal page. Among others, it shows the 1 1/2" roughing gouge,
1/2" spindle gouge, and, yes, even a "bowl" gouge working a bowl. I even
included a couple of close-ups to show the surface finish produced by the
gouges. Thirty-three percent isn't bad, I guess, but why are the others
wrong?

OK, so here's the question - did you ever develop beyond the ordinary by
following conventional wisdom? Can anyone? Is it only design that allows
"style," or can there be personal styles of tool use?

Whatta you think, Arch?