Dr. Deb

Default LDD

Joe is not the only one with this problem. Some, not all, my oak bowls have
done the "oval thing." Soaked the nearly fully turned bowl (turned to 1/4
inch) overnight (24 hours) in a 1:1 solution and then finished the next
day. The warping is not extreme, but is enough to seriously detract.

Deb

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

Hi, Joe: Your experience has been the exception. I would almost venture
bet that you didn't follow "Leif's instructions" to the letter. How about
sending me an email with the exact procedure you used. I generally found
that there were deviations in the procedure resulting in warping or
cracking.

Leif
"golf" wrote in message
Howdy:
I have used the Costco dish detergent as per Leifs instructions.

I turned several cherry bowls, after the appropriate soaking.
Immediately finishing them afterwards. None exhibited cracking.
They all look nicely oval and raised up at the end grain end
Joe

George

Once again, we have a "bound water" versus "free water" problem. See
Hoadley, _Understanding Wood_ for some great information. Soaking _in any
water-based liquid_ will preclude loss of either. Preparation of a bowl
with all the centrifugal forces and heating by sanding may get rid of a lot
of free water. The bound water, in contrast, is only slightly affected, as
it is contained within the cells.

From a purely speculative point, there being no "empirical data" that I know
of, the surfactant in the detergent does what surfactants are designed to
do - make the water wetter by decreasing the surface tension. As this
surface tension is what promotes the capillary action which pulls water from
the wood structure, it is possible that the interior of the wood remains
wetter longer, while the surface appears dry by evaporation.