Grant Beagles

Default Lathe parts

I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

Grant

Devan7

Grant:

Congradulations on your purchase, its a workable lathe for the beginner
and will serve you well until you want to turn large objects. Your
new-old lathe is argueably better than most of the mini lathes on the
market. I bought the same lathe at a garage sale quite a few years ago.
It was my first lathe and it started me on my quest for the perfect form
and the easiest way to sharpen lathe tools.

I didn't realize how dark a blue the paint was originally until your
post, I looked tonight and yes under the cover where the sun didn't fade
it out it was very dark blue. I guess I didn't realize I had an antique
in my shop.

As far as part numbers, I can't help; and I promised the lathe to my son
a number of years ago, so you can't have the cover. It should not be a
big deal to fabricate a plexiglass or wooden cover to keep the dust,
dirt and shavings out of the oil caps, bearings, belt area

The good news is a lot of companies sell 3/4" and #1 MT accessories. I
purchased a spur center and a live center from Grizzley and I've seen
similar products from others. I still use the #1 centers I bought for
the Craftsman when I want to turn small pieces on my Rockwell, I just
use the reducers I bought to adapt up to #2. Face plates are available
from a number of sources so look for a good price, the internet is great
for this.

Wear eye protection, better yet wear face protection
Remember your lungs, especially when sanding
Use sharp tools

Its not a race, slow down and enjoy

Grant Beagles wrote:
I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

Grant

Ken Moon

Grant Beagles wrote in message ...
I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

Grant

********************************
Hi,

Sears will probably be your best bet for accessories for your lathe.
Your's will probably have either a 3/4"X16tpi spindle with a Morse
taper # 1, or a 1"X8tpi with #2 MT. The venerable monotube lathe was
the smaller of those sizes and their new 15" has the larger size. Most
of their stores that carry large power tools have a selection of these
accessories, and the price is really great. You can get spur centers,
screw chucks, tail cup and live centers, and faceplates. They also
have tools but they are carbon steel and less than you would want for
any regular use. If you aren't near a a big Sears, they have these
parts in their tool catalog.
Happy hunting,

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.
Grant Beagles

I Live in the Dallas area, so I can get to a Sears. I'm pretty sure
that the cast part isn't available any longer, but its worth a try. I
have the Craftsman tools that my dad used. I tuned them up on my
Tormek. Now I just need to set up the lathe! I'll need to investigate
the taper. Both centers are stuck. I need to get some liquid wrench
and use my brass mallet sparingly! A number 2 taper would be nice,
since it seems that it is more common.

Thanks everyone for the terrific advice!

Grant

Ken Moon wrote:

[...]

Leif Thorvaldson

One further comment! Ken made a "disparaging" remark about carbon steel
tools with which I disagree. They are excellent learning tools for a
beginner. Both for use on your turnings and learning the different
sharpening grinds and techniques. I am still using my original Sears
Craftsman set that I got with my SC tubular lathe about ten years ago, so I
guess that makes me a beginner still! But I am just a hobbyist turner and
every day at the lathe is a new experience to me! *G* I removed the metal
shielding from part of the headstock to accommodate my new pulley (sheave?)
arrangement with the new 2 horse, 3phase motor. The original 3/4 hp just
wasn't powerful enough for some of my chunks of wood. So now I have a
modified, Formula One SC! I suspect that JJ got a little nervous when he
heard about the mods. Hell, even Serious Lathes went out of business! *G*

Leif