Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Oh, joy!

I'm a Shopsmith guy - and we've all had discussions about the god and bad
aspects of that. 'nuff said. I'm happy because I just did the variable speed
motor conversion on mine. What a difference! Quiet and smooth. Any speed I
want from 250 rpm to 10,000, any time I want. Takes less starting current,
and develops more horsepower. Delivers all the torque I want at any speed.
Happy, happy. Can't spend all the time I want in the mancave, right now,
though, as me an' SWMBO are deconstructing the house next door, for the
lumber in it, and the extra half-lot it sits on. Still happy. Getting good
weather.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:24:02 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Hey Tom..
Just curious, what was your investment for the VAR setup on the SS?

I'm a Shopsmith guy - and we've all had discussions about the god and bad
aspects of that. 'nuff said. I'm happy because I just did the variable speed
motor conversion on mine. What a difference! Quiet and smooth. Any speed I
want from 250 rpm to 10,000, any time I want. Takes less starting current,
and develops more horsepower. Delivers all the torque I want at any speed.
Happy, happy. Can't spend all the time I want in the mancave, right now,
though, as me an' SWMBO are deconstructing the house next door, for the
lumber in it, and the extra half-lot it sits on. Still happy. Getting good
weather.
tom koehler

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

Hey Tom..
Just curious, what was your investment for the VAR setup on the SS?

If it was the MK-6 it comes with a DVR motor from Teknatool (same
people as make the lathes)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 1:17:30 -0500, Mac Davis wrote
(in message ):

wrote:

Hey Tom..
Just curious, what was your investment for the VAR setup on the SS?

I'm a Shopsmith guy - and we've all had discussions about the god and bad
aspects of that. 'nuff said. I'm happy because I just did the variable
speed
motor conversion on mine. What a difference! Quiet and smooth. Any speed I
want from 250 rpm to 10,000, any time I want. Takes less starting current,
and develops more horsepower. Delivers all the torque I want at any speed.
Happy, happy. Can't spend all the time I want in the mancave, right now,
though, as me an' SWMBO are deconstructing the house next door, for the
lumber in it, and the extra half-lot it sits on. Still happy. Getting good
weather.
tom koehler

in round numbers, $1500. My SS is an early '80's era MKV. I'd modified the
motor wiring so I could reverse its rotation - very handy for sanding, and a
few other jobs. I'd had a 4:1 speed reducer, which was pretty noisy and a bit
on the cumbersone side, for turning stuff larger than a small diameter
spindle. Otherwise the lowest speed on my unit was about 900-1000 rpm, pretty
fast for a lot of work that the SS would otherwise handle nicely.
The project took me about 6 hours. I was deliberately slow. If an instruction
seemed really simple and clear, I re-read it a couple of more times just to
make sure I didn't miss something. Overall, a well-thought-out project and
instructional materials. I did make my own tool for adjusting the eccentric
bushing, in balancing the belt tensions. (more gooder than just a plain
screwdriver)

Yeah, 1500 simoleons woulda' bought me a swell lathe, but my shop is really
small, and so this outfit allows me several tools that simply would not
physically fit in my shop if there were separate machines for each thing I am
enabled to do with this SS.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 23:57:56 -0500, tom koehler

OUCH!! That's more tha I paid for my first 2 lates combined!
(and about half of what I paid for my SS in 1980)

As for shop space, a Jet Mini takes up less room than the SS, lathe
and sanding accessories

Do a good turn, Tom..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 1:37:48 -0500, Mac Davis wrote
(in message ):

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 23:57:56 -0500, tom koehler

OUCH!! That's more tha I paid for my first 2 lates combined!
(and about half of what I paid for my SS in 1980)

As for shop space, a Jet Mini takes up less room than the SS, lathe
and sanding accessories

Do a good turn, Tom..

yeah, that is more than I paid for my first two lathes, too. And my SS is
from the early 80's also. The Jet Mini is out of the question, though. I
still get great mileage out of the drill press in both orientations, and also
the table saw - such as it is, works great for me, and I'd be lost without
the bandsaw capabilities. Honestly, there is no room for a stand-alone lathe,
keeping these other capabilities with the SS. I think I'm doin' pretty good
with the SS lathe. I'm wringing quite a lot out of it, and now with the
variable speed motor setup, I feel like the king of the world.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.