Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Suggested finish on peppermills

I am turning some peppermills for Christmas gifts for my sons. I am using
Cherry, Cocobolo, Zebrawood and Canary. I am partial to oil type finishes
such as Libron or Walnut or Tung Oil but am not sure about using that for
something that will see at lot of hand contact while cooking and drinking.

Any suggestions? TIA

Russ

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/20/2010 8:30 PM, Russ Stanton wrote:
I am turning some peppermills for Christmas gifts for my sons. I am
using Cherry, Cocobolo, Zebrawood and Canary. I am partial to oil type
finishes such as Libron or Walnut or Tung Oil but am not sure about
using that for something that will see at lot of hand contact while
cooking and drinking.

Any suggestions? TIA

Russ

Great gifts and a good question too as I am to make one soon. Hopefully
someone has a good answer.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/20/2010 04:30 PM, Russ Stanton wrote:
I am turning some peppermills for Christmas gifts for my sons. I am
using Cherry, Cocobolo, Zebrawood and Canary. I am partial to oil type
finishes such as Libron or Walnut or Tung Oil but am not sure about
using that for something that will see at lot of hand contact while
cooking and drinking.

Any suggestions? TIA

Russ

I'd go with something like Formby's Tung Oil Finish. It's not pure Tung
Oil, but an oil/varnish mix (or I wiping varnish - can't remember
which). Goes on thin so you can build the amount sheen you want, but
dries hard so hand contact shouldn't be an issue...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Russ Stanton" wrote: (clip) Any suggestions? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have used a product called "Linspeed" (as best I recall), sold in sporting
goods stores for finishing gunstocks. It consists of linseed oil and lots
of driers. You apply it by rubbing, and the more you rub the prettier it
gets--thus handling improves the appearance. Gunstocks receive rough use,
and it is possible to rub on new finish without blending problems. In case
of severe scratching, a little sanding along with rubbing on Linspeed works
well.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:40:37 -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:

On 10/20/2010 04:30 PM, Russ Stanton wrote:
I am turning some peppermills for Christmas gifts for my sons. I am
using Cherry, Cocobolo, Zebrawood and Canary. I am partial to oil type
finishes such as Libron or Walnut or Tung Oil but am not sure about
using that for something that will see at lot of hand contact while
cooking and drinking.

Any suggestions? TIA

Russ

I'd go with something like Formby's Tung Oil Finish. It's not pure Tung
Oil, but an oil/varnish mix (or I wiping varnish - can't remember
which). Goes on thin so you can build the amount sheen you want, but
dries hard so hand contact shouldn't be an issue...

Tried & True has a similar oil varnish mix that is totally non-toxic.
That's what I would use. See:

http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/varnish.htm

I don't work for them, I ran into their products while working part time
at Woodcraft. I tried them and liked them.

Another possibility would be dewaxed shellac. A little more durable and,
if made from flakes, also non-toxic.

Peppermills Herb Robinson Woodworking 5 February 13th 06 07:01 PM
As suggested by this group... B.B. Metalworking 0 October 17th 05 07:25 AM
Suggested uses of cyprus Ron Moore Woodworking 11 June 28th 05 09:34 PM
Suggested Finish Over Sikkens Wood Trim Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 January 17th 05 04:54 AM
Peppermills Harry B. Pye Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 01:38 AM