Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default question about hardware

Hello all

I have a Jet 12-36 that has served me quite well for the past 7 or 8
years however I am looking for a particular piece of equipment. It
would fit into the tailstock and be hollow down the length. I am
thinking, perhaps, of a cone-center (name correct?). It would allow
me to drill a hole down the length of the wood.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hello all

I have a Jet 12-36 that has served me quite well for the past 7 or 8
years however I am looking for a particular piece of equipment. It
would fit into the tailstock and be hollow down the length. I am
thinking, perhaps, of a cone-center (name correct?). It would allow
me to drill a hole down the length of the wood.

It's not quite the same thing, but Woodcraft has a chuck that mounts to a
tailpiece. If the work was mounted on a faceplate you could drill
completely through, going from tailstock to headstock --

I haven't used it, but I saw it in their October catalog at a sale price -
I've got it on order.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:12:39 -0700 (PDT), Kevin wrote:

Hello all

I have a Jet 12-36 that has served me quite well for the past 7 or 8
years however I am looking for a particular piece of equipment. It
would fit into the tailstock and be hollow down the length. I am
thinking, perhaps, of a cone-center (name correct?). It would allow
me to drill a hole down the length of the wood.

Check out woodcraft.com
I saw a "pass through" live center or something there, used for drilling lamp
bases..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 27, 11:12 am, Kevin wrote:
Hello all

I have a Jet 12-36 that has served me quite well for the past 7 or 8
years however I am looking for a particular piece of equipment. It
would fit into the tailstock and be hollow down the length. I am
thinking, perhaps, of a cone-center (name correct?). It would allow
me to drill a hole down the length of the wood.

Hello Kevin,

I use a Nova live center to guide a drill when drilling lamps, etc. I
recently made a replacement flag staff for a boat that was 25 inches
long and required a hole drilled through the center. The article
documenting this was published in the February 2010 issue of More
Woodturning magazine.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net