Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Screen out China

Should be a way to screen all the crappy emails about clothing from China!
Why don't they start their own post?

This is for woodworking - let's keep it that way.

KP

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm afraid you're spitting in the wind with this one.

This is a newsgroup on UseNet - the Wild West of the internet
and this newsgroup is Unmoderated - which means anyone can
post anything (as long as it's just "text" as opposed to "binaries"
which permit posting image files), There is no easy way to filter
out "spam".

Since you appear to be new to UseNet, be aware that in addition
to posts for products and services not related to the usenet
newsgroup's focus, you'll also see "phishing/fishing" messages
that are intended to provoke responses - from which e-mail
addresses can be gathered - or "points earned based on the
number of responses".

Your best bet is to just ignore messages that don't interest
you. These things come and go. This one will go away in a while.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Like one said - maybe.

I was getting a lot of Russian text mail. Since that font is on my computer
I could select some unique characters and sort out a large volume. Then add
another letter on those that got through. They were clever by changing
username and domain on every one. You could see a computer doing it.

So their matra - what ever it was got them in the trash.

Here I mark as read - likely have to try several letters and do a series.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 5/29/2010 6:17 AM, keith wrote:
Should be a way to screen all the crappy emails about clothing from China!
Why don't they start their own post?

This is for woodworking - let's keep it that way.

KP

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"keith" writes:

Should be a way to screen all the crappy emails about clothing from China!
Why don't they start their own post?

Get a better ISP for USENET - one that does spam filtering.

I don't see any. I pay $10 a year.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In the good old days you could add some headers to your post to cause
follow up messages to also be posted to a test newsgroup that every
usenet server in the world would reply to. It was for sysadms to test
the system. But it was great for getting the trolls out of a group.
LOL At dialup speeds, they'd be out of action waiting for a few days
to download thousands of test messages. Back then a lot of usenet
systems were also on dial up. Anybody remember how to use a 'bang
path' to route mail?

On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:26:16 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

I'm afraid you're spitting in the wind with this one.

This is a newsgroup on UseNet - the Wild West of the internet
and this newsgroup is Unmoderated - which means anyone can
post anything (as long as it's just "text" as opposed to "binaries"
which permit posting image files), There is no easy way to filter
out "spam".

Since you appear to be new to UseNet, be aware that in addition
to posts for products and services not related to the usenet
newsgroup's focus, you'll also see "phishing/fishing" messages
that are intended to provoke responses - from which e-mail
addresses can be gathered - or "points earned based on the
number of responses".

Your best bet is to just ignore messages that don't interest
you. These things come and go. This one will go away in a while.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

billw writes:

Anybody remember how to use a 'bang
path' to route mail?

I ran a mail server that had to have sendmail rules to fix those.