Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Experience needed with finishes in tropical climates

Ernie Newman (Australia) and I are going to Samoa in February to set
up a production turning capability at a school there to help in the
recovery from the recent earthquake/tsunami.
One of the issues we are facing is the finish that will work best in
that environment. Equatorial, sea level, local wood.
I would like to hear from turners with experience in that environment
to give us a jump start! We expect these products to be sold at the
local tourist markets, and are looking for opportunities for them to
sell overseas as well.
Large portions of these islands were devastated by this tsunami in
September - our goal is to help them help themselves.

Ernie and I are paying all of our own expenses, but are seeking
donations for the equipment and supplies needed to set up this project
- we are about half way there. If you want to keep abreast of our
progress and experience on Samoa - I will be posting on the Turning
Aid for Samoa page on Facebook, reachable as a friend of

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:57:57 -0800 (PST), hwahl wrote:

I live in Northern Baja California and during the summer we have a climate that
sounds like what you'll be working in: hot, HUMID, etc...
Main problem that I have is that I prefer Danish oil and buffing for a finish
and it's hard to use in humidity... Sets up and soaks in fine but takes up to a
week to cure hard enough to buff..
I'm guessing that in the conditions that you'll be working, you'll need a fast,
easy and quick drying finish such as (yuk) friction polish...
Not very durable, but quick.. Maybe rubbing poly or thinned down Danish Oil?

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing