Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom tom is offline

Default anyone used one of these?

not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

It's a "must have tool" if you have drill bits.
Easy to use and the results are spectacular, especially if you are
drilling steel.

LB
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

there are several models of the drill doctor - they work OK, but the older
ones have a problem holding a consistent relief angle - sometimes you get
negative relief and the drill doesn't do anything. But, it's a lot cheaper
than the $6000 Darex

"tom" wrote in message
news
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

I worked as a machinist for about 8 years running a
drilling department. We used everything from .015
up to 3". I watched the tool crib guy hand sharpen
drills and thought it looked easy. Tried it myself
a few times and found it was easy. If you have an
eye for it, it becomes very easy after a few tries
and only requires a bench grinder with a squared up
wheel. If you have a bench grinder and wheel dresser
try it out a bit before you buy a drill doctor. You
may find you don't need it.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have a slightly larger model which has a gizmo for setting the drill
correctly in the holder.. Looks like this one you do that on your own.
Just works on standard twist drill bits and I think concrete bits.. Haven't
sharpened any of the latter, but it's a fast, handy, no-brainer sharpener
for twist drills.. Won't work on brad point drills, etc..

"tom" wrote in message
news
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

Yes, got one for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago. I had a cigar box full of
dull bits and sharpened the whole lot. It worked well. Will not
sharpen brad points, spade bits or Forstners, of course. I wish I had
a forstner bit sharpener.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

No job around the house is done until
you bleed on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald

sharpen brad points, spade bits or Forstners, of course. I wish I had a
forstner bit sharpener.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=forstnerbits

CYA
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Stephen Quinn wrote:
Gerald

sharpen brad points, spade bits or Forstners, of course. I wish I had a
forstner bit sharpener.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=forstnerbits

CYA
Steve

I've got all that stuff and have piddled at sharpening some, but I was
thinking of semi-automatic mechanized sharpening.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

No job around the house is done until
you bleed on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I agree with some of the posts.

I have a different model - 3/4" max size - and it turns a rounded
tip - not two flats. I can cut cross points - that is great.

I saved a chipped 3/4" drill - high quality - and after grinding
it I then hand ground the flutes for a undercut from the cutting edge.

I do a lot by hand, but preform some extensive jobs with mine.

Martin

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , sbnjhfty
wrote:

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

I worked as a machinist for about 8 years running a
drilling department. We used everything from .015
up to 3". I watched the tool crib guy hand sharpen
drills and thought it looked easy. Tried it myself
a few times and found it was easy. If you have an
eye for it, it becomes very easy after a few tries
and only requires a bench grinder with a squared up
wheel. If you have a bench grinder and wheel dresser
try it out a bit before you buy a drill doctor. You
may find you don't need it.

Agreed. I do them all by hand. When I was a kid, I looked closely at a
dull bit and closely at a sharp bit. Then I turned on the old man's
bench grinder. It took a few tries, but got a real sense of "Aha!" when
I finally did it correctly.

If it's a tiny drill, I use wet sandpaper stuck to glass.

-j