DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   anyone used one of these? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/290217-anyone-used-one-these.html)

tom October 25th 09 12:22 AM

anyone used one of these?

not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

LBledsoe October 25th 09 12:33 AM

anyone used one of these?

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

It's a "must have tool" if you have drill bits.
Easy to use and the results are spectacular, especially if you are
drilling steel.

LB

Bill Noble[_2_] October 25th 09 03:27 AM

anyone used one of these?

there are several models of the drill doctor - they work OK, but the older
ones have a problem holding a consistent relief angle - sometimes you get
negative relief and the drill doesn't do anything. But, it's a lot cheaper
than the $6000 Darex

sbnjhfty October 25th 09 03:39 AM

anyone used one of these?

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

I worked as a machinist for about 8 years running a
drilling department. We used everything from .015
up to 3". I watched the tool crib guy hand sharpen
drills and thought it looked easy. Tried it myself
a few times and found it was easy. If you have an
eye for it, it becomes very easy after a few tries
and only requires a bench grinder with a squared up
wheel. If you have a bench grinder and wheel dresser
try it out a bit before you buy a drill doctor. You
may find you don't need it.

Jim Hall[_3_] October 25th 09 04:31 AM

anyone used one of these?

I have a slightly larger model which has a gizmo for setting the drill
correctly in the holder.. Looks like this one you do that on your own.
Just works on standard twist drill bits and I think concrete bits.. Haven't
sharpened any of the latter, but it's a fast, handy, no-brainer sharpener
for twist drills.. Won't work on brad point drills, etc..

Gerald Ross[_2_] October 25th 09 09:47 AM

anyone used one of these?

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

Yes, got one for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago. I had a cigar box full of
dull bits and sharpened the whole lot. It worked well. Will not
sharpen brad points, spade bits or Forstners, of course. I wish I had
a forstner bit sharpener.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

No job around the house is done until
you bleed on it.

Stephen Quinn October 25th 09 10:50 PM

anyone used one of these?

Gerald

sharpen brad points, spade bits or Forstners, of course. I wish I had a
forstner bit sharpener.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=forstnerbits

CYA
Steve

Gerald Ross[_3_] October 25th 09 11:33 PM

anyone used one of these?

Stephen Quinn wrote:
Gerald

sharpen brad points, spade bits or Forstners, of course. I wish I had a
forstner bit sharpener.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=forstnerbits

CYA
Steve

I've got all that stuff and have piddled at sharpening some, but I was
thinking of semi-automatic mechanized sharpening.

Martin H. Eastburn October 26th 09 03:12 AM

anyone used one of these?

I agree with some of the posts.

I have a different model - 3/4" max size - and it turns a rounded
tip - not two flats. I can cut cross points - that is great.

I saved a chipped 3/4" drill - high quality - and after grinding
it I then hand ground the flutes for a undercut from the cutting edge.

I do a lot by hand, but preform some extensive jobs with mine.

Martin

JoanD'arcRoast October 27th 09 04:17 AM

anyone used one of these?

In article , sbnjhfty
wrote:

tom wrote:
not quite "woodturning" but related ...

http://tinyurl.com/yl4f8pe

or equivalent

comments?

I worked as a machinist for about 8 years running a
drilling department. We used everything from .015
up to 3". I watched the tool crib guy hand sharpen
drills and thought it looked easy. Tried it myself
a few times and found it was easy. If you have an
eye for it, it becomes very easy after a few tries
and only requires a bench grinder with a squared up
wheel. If you have a bench grinder and wheel dresser
try it out a bit before you buy a drill doctor. You
may find you don't need it.

Agreed. I do them all by hand. When I was a kid, I looked closely at a
dull bit and closely at a sharp bit. Then I turned on the old man's
bench grinder. It took a few tries, but got a real sense of "Aha!" when
I finally did it correctly.

If it's a tiny drill, I use wet sandpaper stuck to glass.

-j